Birthday Gift Giving - An Entirely New Angle!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

My wife and I are blown away by this and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this, in one form or another.

Before the holiday break our pre-school told us there would be a birthday party on Jan. 4, yesterday, (first day back to school) and another on Jan. 5, today.  Yesterday when we arrived at school, there was a big bounce house set up, and Jollibee catered a fairly large lunch.  Our daughter had a nice time at the party.  Her school day is only 3 hours and the party was the whole day.  We talked to the bounce house guys and their rental is p8500 for 3 hours.

Today when we arrived, one of the teachers directed us to go in a different door than usual.  I think they were setting up a "surprise" and I heard the birthday boy being called from the play area to the normal door.  Off I went home.

Back at noon to collect her, and she was holding a brand new Disney Cinderella doll and another toy.  "How nice, please thank the birthday boy" I told the teacher.  Wait, she said, and I looked in the door.  Lined up was a large eco-bag full of more party favors for each kid! 

P1000465.JPG  P1000466 (2).JPG

So here is what my daughter and each kid (I think 15-20?) got as party favors:

• Branded Disney doll (for girls)
  • Little stool personalized with birthday boy's name
  • Little basket thing personalized with the birthday boy's name
  • Genuine Play Doh with accessories
  • Box of candies and branded Minions items
  • Bag of stickers, pencils, Crayolas and pencil holders.
  • Various other items

In addition, food was catered by Shakey's and was a 3 course adult meal and cupcakes.

I'm guessing that that they spent upwards of p2000 per head for the party.  Maybe a lot more.

Waaaaayyyyy over the top, in my opinion!  We have some wealthy families in our area, but why this?  Is it genuine generosity or just showing off?  I don't know the parents.  At least I think not.  I did see a Mercedes GLS parked outside and I have met that guy, but I didn't know his kid was in the school.

The school has a mix of kids:  Mixed foreigner / Filipino (Americans, French, others), Koreans and full blooded Filipino.  I'm fairly certain the 4 year old birthday boy is Filipino.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

As they say in the Philippines, being boastful.

• Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Mind you it's set the bar for when your daughters birthday comes around.

• Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gary D said:

Mind you it's set the bar for when your daughters birthday comes around.

Nah, no way!  They might get some party favors but they will be from the cheap Chinese stores!

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

Nah, no way!  They might get some party favors but they will be from the cheap Chinese stores!

It seems you haven't come up against the competitve side of the filipino nature yet.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

It seems you haven't come up against the competitve side of the filipino nature yet.

Which is ?

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Which is ?

I shouldn't have to explain this but since it is you Jack. Filipinos have developed the art keeping up with the Juan's to a giddy height.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Gary D said:

I shouldn't have to explain this but since it is you Jack. Filipinos have developed the art keeping up with the Juan's to a giddy height.

:huh: Bad in Red my Friend, I see you have a leaning to sheer sarcasm :whistling:

On the personal side I would agree but for schools and  things for the good of the people I would say that is a good thing and what we have been saying all along. We can't have it all ourwn way, let's face it  "Damned if they do & damned if they don't" Did we not teach them the way of the Juan's?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of Wit and yet many still try it on when the people are trying to do their bit as we here on Forums always knock them for. Then we wonder why they are still having the us and them issues with us

Bad mood and attitude.jpg :thumbsup:

Jack:smile:

Morning All:photo-109:

• Haha 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

I  agree with your thoughts OMW, that this "over the top"  style would not be something that I would not want for my child during their birthday either.  I suspect that the pressure might be on, for some parents to want to  keep up or compete with past parties, but that's just the way it is I guess. You as parent might just have to make decisions and stick with them regardless of what other parents chose.  Maybe other parents would follow suit and scale back on their efforts and expenses too, or maybe not.  Kind of a bummer in my opinion, that young children are occupied in such complicated activities. I've worked with young children for many years, and simple play and activities led to great socialization and chances for learning. I guess it's another case of "not being in Kansas anymore":smile: It's all about adapting and finding one's way.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

I  agree with your thoughts OMW, that this "over the top"  style would not be something that I would not want for my child during their birthday either.  I suspect that the pressure might be on, for some parents to want to  keep up or compete with past parties, but that's just the way it is I guess. You as parent might just have to make decisions and stick with them regardless of what other parents chose.  Maybe other parents would follow suit and scale back on their efforts and expenses too, or maybe not.  Kind of a bummer in my opinion, that young children are occupied in such complicated activities. I've worked with young children for many years, and simple play and activities led to great socialization and chances for learning. I guess it's another case of "not being in Kansas anymore":smile: It's all about adapting and finding one's way.

I just got an update on this and it is not quite what we thought.  My wife had also mentioned the "competitive" aspect that Gary mentioned but it appears that is not the case here.

While shopping, we ran into one of the teachers, and she filled us in.  The mom was the one who put it all together and apparently the room was elaborately decorated as a jungle, to go with the jungle and monkey theme.  Two classes participated, pre-kinder (my daughter) and kinder.  So it was about 25-30 kids. 

The teacher didn't really indicate it has anything to do with wealth or showing off, but of course I take that with a grain of salt.  The parents are Chinese-Filipino and the 4th birthday is a big one for the Chinese.  And they will still celebrate the big 7th birthday Filipino style.  Apparently the number 4 has a connotation with death in the Chinese culture.  So to overcome that on the birthday, they give abundantly.  So that was the reason for all the party favors!

I googled and did not find anything about this, but that is what the teacher said!

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1