VHF TV stations Who is their target market?

allancomeau
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, scott h said:

Everyone, my college educated wife, will sit for hours with our two middle aged non English speaking maids watching inane teleseriye and variety shows,,,,,and yes at an extremely loud volume :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

What's with the volume?  My landlady will conduct conversations with visitors and on the phone  despite the TV volume being set at 'hearing loss is imminent' level.    I keep telling her that I cannot hear her over the TV but  she would rather repeat herself five times than turn down the volume - even during the commercials.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, allancomeau said:

What's with the volume? 

That is what it is here Normal, loudest gets heard. You over shout the TV she will hear you and probably ask why are you shouting, My wife does :thumbsup:

allancomeau
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

That is what it is here Normal, loudest gets heard. You over shout the TV she will hear you and probably ask why are you shouting, My wife does :thumbsup:

Communicate via SMS?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, allancomeau said:

Communicate via SMS?

:hystery: She would never hear the Phone :whistling:

Gary D
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, allancomeau said:

What's with the volume?  My landlady will conduct conversations with visitors and on the phone  despite the TV volume being set at 'hearing loss is imminent' level.    I keep telling her that I cannot hear her over the TV but  she would rather repeat herself five times than turn down the volume - even during the commercials.

It's so the neighbours can hear you have a tele. I've also seen the colour turned up so bright that all of the edges flare. When the MIL left the room I turned it down but noticed later it had been turned up again so it must have been set like that deliderately. 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Gary D said:

it must have been set like that deliderately. 

Strange people EH?:89:

allancomeau
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Gary D said:

It's so the neighbours can hear you have a tele.  

Heck even nipa huts with a dirt floor have a TV. 

I was bemused by one bar in a barrio in Mindanao. Dirt floor. Bamboo walls. But they had two TVs. One had no sound but had video. The other had no video but had sound !

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
CoffeeRulzMe
Posted
Posted

I must be lucky, my wife shuts off the TV for meal times.  And she prefers GMA to ABS-CBN.   As a side note; I do like watching the show called Wowowin.

• 2 months later...
lobojohn
Posted
Posted
On 1/26/2018 at 10:45 AM, scott h said:

Everyone, my college educated wife, will sit for hours with our two middle aged non English speaking maids watching inane teleseriye and variety shows,,,,,and yes at an extremely loud volume :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

id toss the tv... it wouldnt be the 1st time i did it either

lobojohn
Posted
Posted

i feel so lucky after reading this post.  i cant even begin to imagine some of the conditions some expats are living in and putting up with. even my wife is reading and shaking her head in disbelief.