Studwork

Gary D
Posted
Posted

It there an equivalent to what we know in the UK as studwork in the Philippines. Studwork in the UK is usually a wooden frame with a skin of gyprock on both side giving a lightweight wall usually but not exclusively used on the 1st floor so not requiring any steelwork etc.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gary D said:

It there an equivalent to what we know in the UK as studwork in the Philippines. Studwork in the UK is usually a wooden frame with a skin of gyprock on both side giving a lightweight wall usually but not exclusively used on the 1st floor so not requiring any steelwork etc.

In a word No unless you are MEGA Rich and there all day to supervise

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

Yes.

When I had my low cost house built there was not a lot of space where I needed a couple of interior walls so a couple of the walls were built with 2 x 2 wooden studs (some prefer to use metal studs and it does the same job) and covered with a very thin cement board called Hardiflex (plywood was used in a couple of spots where more strength was needed.  Gyprock does not seem readily available).  Hardiflex comes in varying thicknesses but the beauty of it is:  Hollow core for running wires and pipes.  Takes up less space than hollow block walls. Easier for the lay person to work with.  Does not absorb water like gyprock does. Smooths out nice like gyprock if the finisher knows his stuff. Personally, I like working with wood studs as I am not familiar with using the metal ones but both are available and the wood may be prone to bugs, although what they used in my house is kiln dried gemelina and seems to have no bugs in it.

It is not used much as the cost of studs and hardiflex is more than the cost of hollow blocks and most of the workers know masonry but few know carpentry.  But there are times when it is used.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

Our last rental house here is Subic was in one of the last neighborhoods built by the U.S. Navy.  I think it was in the mid to late 80's.  Those last neighborhoods were steel framed with steel studs.

Our current house was built by the Nave some time before that, and has exterior walls of CHB, inside wall (most) of wood studs with some type of gyprock type product.  It has wood attic but the wood roof was replaced with steel 10+ years ago.

Yes, that was the U.S. Navy so not really a good example.

I can't say I have seen wood studs being used in new construction.  I have seen steel studs being used in commercial buildings and that is quite common.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I could probably do some stud work but at my age it's not guaranteed satisfaction. :smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Rare here due to termites that eat wood and high humidity that eats drywall.  You do see steel stud construction but mostly in high rise buildings.  The vast majority of buildings and homes is concrete post and beam and concrete filled hollow block with rebar for walls between the posts.  One other advantage to this type of construction is that is helps dampen noise from outside the building. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I could probably do some stud work but at my age it's not guaranteed satisfaction. :smile:

You wish along with me and a lot of other people.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Gary D said:

You can get it done they use metal channel and gyprock or equivelant.