Technology or other not applicable to Philippines

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

We test drove a new car recently featuring lane departure and collision avoidance technology. Curious how that would react in typical Filipino traffic? :shades:

What other technology not exactly suitable in Philippines 🇵🇭?

Edited by Old55
  • Hmm thinking 1

allancomeau
Posted
Posted

Voice controlled IoT - 'it' wouldn't be able over the roosters, dogs, yelling on the mobile phone, the KTV screeching, and blaring TV

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

What other technology not exactly suitable in Philippines

I surely would not want to use that new fangled software that directs you where to turn and how to get to where you are going.  I would expect it to instruct a wrong turn that ends up on a path that would only be suitable to riding naked on a caribou.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

riding naked on a caribou.

That would be a whole new level of "rug burn". :whistling:

• Love it 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

Curious how that would react in typical Filipino traffic? :shades:

Ooh, ouch, eek come to mind.As for satnav forget it.

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

I loaded Philippines maps onto my Garmin GPS, and I get a lot of driving on road messages. It's also restricted because businesses don't list street addresses in their advertisements or on google. It's more like we're located in the XYZ building, not at 3605 friendship highway like in the US. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I surely would not want to use that new fangled software that directs you where to turn and how to get to where you are going. 

29 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

As for satnav forget it.

I have to disagree on this one.  That navigation on my Honda Brio is pretty darn good so far.  I guess it has the latest maps and the interface is very easy to use.  It does have a lot of addresses and POI, but even when I don't have an address I like to be able to see all the roads in the immediate area.

By contrast, the Nav in my 2014 Chevy Trailblazer is the absolute worst piece of cr*p I have ever used.  I never use it because in addition to having the worst ever interface, the calibration is off by about 100 ft and according to Chevy a few years ago there was only one place in Manila that could work on it.  I don't think Chevy uses that software anymore.

In fact, I think Chevy now has an Android head unit available and you can load Waze and most Android apps on it.  There are a lot of aftermarket Android head units out there now.

Bottom line, some NAVs work a lot better than others here in PH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes I will agree providing you update the Chip regularly, My Suzuki one is Great and this year NOV I have been reminded by the Dealer to get the new Chip.

• Like 1

PaulB
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

In fact, I think Chevy now has an Android head unit available and you can load Waze and most Android apps on it.  There are a lot of aftermarket Android head units out there now.

OnmyWay

i just bought a new Chevy Trailblazer in Dec 2018 and the Android link is good as connects to your mobile and displays Maps, Emails and SMS. Impressed so far.

Paul

• Like 1