Maid to order, but double ordered!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have mentioned before that we have been looking for a maid / nanny for a long time, without much luck.

My wife got to know a maid / caretaker "C" who was working across the street, basically as a caretaker, because nobody was living there.  The owner put it up for rent or sale, so she started chatting to my wife about working for us.  She likes our kids and said she was actually bored at the other house.  My wife told her there would be a lot more work at our house but she didn't seem to mind, saying she likes to be busy.  So, the house sold and my wife made a deal with her to start in April, after she goes home for a few weeks.  She is 46 years old and has worked for another neighbor too.

Well, of course, when it rains, it pours.  One of the maids next door told us that her niece "G" was looking for work.  After talking to her on the phone, we decided to hire her temporary until C would start in April.  We have a really busy month and need help.  We told C about it and she seemed fine with that.  G was ok with being temporary.

G is 26 and has a 7 year old daughter at home in Tarlac.  She is the eldest of her siblings and has a 3 year old sister!  She has been here a week and she is kicking butt!  She knows how to do everything,  she is a good cook and loves taking care of or playing with the kids.

We like G a lot and want to keep her.  How can we break our agreement with C?  She did nothing wrong and we feel bad to break our word to her, but my wife says G is the helper she has been praying for.

Any advice?  We would consider hiring both but we really don't have room right now.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have mentioned before that we have been looking for a maid / nanny for a long time, without much luck.

Any advice?  We would consider hiring both but we really don't have room right now.

Hmm.......in my deviant mind, you know my choice already.  But getting back to reality, it is refreshing to learn that work ethics is readily demonstrated by both of them.  I would figure one in ten would meet your criteria.  

Regarding breaking the news to "C", I would suggest having your wife handle that situation.  I'm sure she will be diplomatic and handle it with grace.  Your wife could also use a more stern approach, like -- take it or leave it, if the situation requires it.  You shouldn't lose any sleep over this.

As you may know, securing a written contract with explicit instructions both in English and Tagalog would be in order.  I would also suggest a probationary period with a small raise if she meets your satisfaction.  

One more thing (and this is personal for me anyway) -- she must understand and follow strict rules about your privacy.  For example, no tsimis (gossiping) about what color is your underwear or how bad your fart smells like.  After all, it's your castle and it's your freedom to expel gas anytime, anywhere.  

As it turned out in my experience, word got out that Judy and I were having marital problems because she threaten to kill me if I fart in her presence again.  I knew Judy was not serious but no matter -- a couple neighbors started to give me the snake eyes anyway.  

I get no respect sometimes.........

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I generally don't come in on a problem like this, but you have had experience over time with C and your word is your bond. You have told G she would be temporary and she was fine with this, so it is hard I know, but let G know that she is on the short list if C doesn't square up to your expectations. I have found most middle age PI women are better with teaching younger children respect and as Jake implied, watch out for the Green eyed monster. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jake said:

Hmm.......in my deviant mind, you know my choice already.  But getting back to reality, it is refreshing to learn that work ethics is readily demonstrated by both of them.  I would figure one in ten would meet your criteria.  

Regarding breaking the news to "C", I would suggest having your wife handle that situation.  I'm sure she will be diplomatic and handle it with grace.  Your wife could also use a more stern approach, like -- take it or leave it, if the situation requires it.  You shouldn't lose any sleep over this.

As you may know, securing a written contract with explicit instructions both in English and Tagalog would be in order.  I would also suggest a probationary period with a small raise if she meets your satisfaction.  

One more thing (and this is personal for me anyway) -- she must understand and follow strict rules about your privacy.  For example, no tsimis (gossiping) about what color is your underwear or how bad your fart smells like.  After all, it's your castle and it's your freedom to expel gas anytime, anywhere.  

As it turned out in my experience, word got out that Judy and I were having marital problems because she threaten to kill me if I fart in her presence again.  I knew Judy was not serious but no matter -- a couple neighbors started to give me the snake eyes anyway.  

I get no respect sometimes.........

oh dear ,id be in real trouble ,nobody and I mean nobody farts like me , bad news that a man cant fart in his own home:angry: lol

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Pick the oldest and ugliest one.  The younger, prettier one will eventually run off with a guy, or if she is married the husband will eventually tell her to quit and come home because he has no one there to fetch his beer.  Such is my experience and thus my advice

Sage advice, I would do the very same!  Even better is she is "stocky" and built for hard work. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Balisidar
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hmm.  C might try to fight you On this as I believe verbal contracts can be enforced in the Philippines.  Here's an article in the Manila Times that's about verbal contracts.

Like some have mentioned hire her on a trial basis and out it in a written contract.  See an lawyer about employment laws and have them write up the contract for you.

http://www.manilatimes.net/verbal-contract-is-binding-when-executed/279885/

I believe that you also have to pay into the Philippines SS system of I'm not mistaken.  Again you should talk to a lawyer.  

Edited by Balisidar
Add information
  • Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Old55 said:

You made an bargain with the first lady. Best to keep your word.

@ OMW - Agree with Old55 and with Clermont. A deal is a deal.  It sounds like C is known in your area, so just think of the chismis she will spread if you break your word. Plus she’s likely counting on having the job and you never know how someone will react, so why take the chance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1