Keeping fighting Cocks ( I thought I had seen it all but!)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:hystery: Sorry this is sad but so freakin funny at the same time.

:shock_40_anim_gif: Yesterday early evening the neighbors held a Cock sparring session on the vacant lot just down the Road from me, in preparation for the Cock Fighting in the City Today, It was noisy and much Drinking and cheering BUT one of the Local Dogs was a Little agitated or something had spooked it and a problem occurred, now the Cocks had their sparring Covers on their feet so could not really defend itself  against what happened with the Dog. The dog apparently chased the Cock and bit of one of his feet (Yes Bit off)

Later as I walked the Dog, I saw the Owner sat outside his House attaching a Splint to the Injured Cocks leg :89:he was never going to fight ever again but the lad told me he was a good Breeding Cock so he wanted to give it some stability in walking to service the hens. I don't like this Cock Fighting but it is their way so I usually pay no attention. This caught my eye and well I thought, entrapanural to say the least. Not sure what he meant in Money terms but he said it was an expensive cock.

Unfortunately I found out not long ago the Cock Died, of Blood loss I would suspect.:huh:

Just a tale for Today.

Jack:wink:

Morning All :photo-109: 

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

When I lived in Cebu city there was a vacant lot (near where I lived) which the locals used to would dump their garbage on.One day I noticed a few people in their clearing the lot up and removing all the garbage.I thought well at least somebody tries to keep Cebu clean.Two days later they held a cock fight there and that`s why they cleaned the lot,not out of pride for their subdivision.Oh well at least they showed some community spirit even though it was for an adverse reason.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have not seen that, but it does not surprise me.  They put their cocks on leashes for walks, they bathe them, they get pretty good care.  You can be pretty sure the dog would not have gotten the same first aid treatment, or splint experiment...

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Unfortunately I found out not long ago the Cock Died, of Blood loss I would suspect

So did they eat him or bury him?  I often wondered if they eat the fighting cocks when they are useless for fighting or breeding any more.  For me it seems they would be tough old birds but, remembering where we are, I am curious.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

did they eat him or bury him?

Lets party Tonight :smile:

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Speaking to a guy that is into cock fighting they spend more money on the cocks than their kids. He says they give them medicine ( aye right ) that improves their health but makes them unfit for eating but it doesn't stop some. 

Personally I don't get the thrill of cock fighting as most fights last seconds and ends in the death of the opposition. I've seen more excitement at cricket. ( rounders ) :whistling:

• Like 1

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So did they eat him or bury him?  I often wondered if they eat the fighting cocks when they are useless for fighting or breeding any more.  For me it seems they would be tough old birds but, remembering where we are, I am curious.

I asked my two brother-in-laws about this a couple of years ago.  They told me that they don't eat them because their tough and like Snowy79 mentioned they're pumped full of anti-biotics.

I also talked one of my brother-in-laws into just breeding, training and selling the cocks, not fighting them himself.  He makes a lot more money now and doesn't waste it on gambling.

• Thanks 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So did they eat him or bury him? 

In Dalaguete they used to eat them.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

In Dalaguete they used to eat them.

Would not be at all surprised if at one time or the other we've all eaten them as well. :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Would not be at all surprised if at one time or the other we've all eaten them as well

Yes, as I was reading through the replies I was thinking:  They don'e eat the dead cocks, they don't bury the dead cocks,  I can't picture them feeding them to the dogs, . . .  so the alternative is selling the meat at the market so I'd say that's one for Old55.

PS:  Asked my lady from a rural barangay what they did in the mountains and she says they ate the dead ones there so I suppose its another case of "YMMV"

• Haha 1