Attention: Inspector

Demeter
Posted
Posted

On the JeepneyWhen paying for your jeepney fare, you can politely ask someone;1. Pliti palihug. -- This is the short for, "Ihatag ko palihug sa ako'ng pliti." Please give my fare to the driver (for me.)The letter "i" before the word "hatag" makes you sound very polite. You use that prefix when asking someone to do things for you because you can't do it.Another example: Iabli ko sa pultahan, palihug. Please open the door (for me.)2. Or if you forget what you want to say, you can just say "Palihug" plus the gesture of giving your fare, people will understand.3. If the driver failed to give you your change, you can say, "Nong, sukli unya nako OR Dong, ako'ng sukli unya." Nong is the short for Manong, an address used with guys older than you are. If the driver is younger, use "Dong." Sukli is the Cebuano for change, nako and ako'ng are the Cebuano words for MY. Unya can mean later, then, might.This is to remind the driver that he has not given you your change.When getting off the jeepney, you can say;1. Para. Stop. This is the simplest way.2. Lugar lang. OR Diri lang. Just here.The word lugar can mean the noun "place" but in this context this means the verb place. Lang means just or only. It literally means "Just place." or "Just place me here." Contextually, "I'm getting off here."3. And if you forget these phrases, just get a coin and hit the jeepney's ceiling with it and say "Salamat."If you have questions, please, feel free to ask me.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thanks Demeter -- now I have my tongue all twisted up, like it went through some horribleexorcism. I'm sure Inspector speaks better Tagalog or Visayan than I do.Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Learning any language is difficult to do! Jake and myself were born in the Philippines and in the same City of Olongapo, but grew up in California and just cities apart from one another since the age of 6 or 7. But for myself, I since then was able to pickup the basic Tagalog language over the years in my adult life where as Jake didn't, that's why he's so called himself "a Dollar speaking Pinoy", no pun intended Jake my SS buddy! Anyway, knowing the basic Tagalog language, has it's advantages because it is spoken through out the Philippines! So when starting to learn and speak other dialects, try to incorporate the basic Tagalog language too, because you'll be surprised that many of the Filipinos where ever you travel in the Philippines will most likely understand you when speaking the basic tagalog language. Just my 2 cents worth of advice! SugarwareZ-005.gifSugarwareZ-003.gif23_11_60[2].gif13_4_10[1].gif

Jake
Posted
Posted
Learning any language is difficult to do! Jake and myself were born in the Philippines and in the same City of Olongapo, but grew up in California and just cities apart from one another since the age of 6 or 7. But for myself, I since then was able to pickup the basic Tagalog language over the years in my adult life where as Jake didn't, that's why he's so called himself "a Dollar speaking Pinoy", no pun intended Jake my SS buddy! Anyway, knowing the basic Tagalog language, has it's advantages because it is spoken through out the Philippines! So when starting to learn and speak other dialects, try to incorporate the basic Tagalog language too, because you'll be surprised that many of the Filipinos where ever you travel in the Philippines will most likely understand you when speaking the basic tagalog language. Just my 2 cents worth of advice! SugarwareZ-005.gifSugarwareZ-003.gif23_11_60[2].gif13_4_10[1].gif
Actually I borrowed that phrase from a local who kept asking me in broken English: "Hey, why you speak dollar?" Even when I thought I was speaking perfect Tagalog, they would somehow detect my American accent and jack up the price when I'm outshopping. I've learned since then to keep my mouth shut and let Judy do all thehaggling. I know it will be a steep learning curve for me but at least I know somehand signals -- he, he.Refectpully -- Jake

Inspector
Posted
Posted (edited)

Demeter just posted Tiger Shark to me, and I am sitting here like this fisherman... :thumbs-up-smile: Edited by Inspector