What Have You Learned About The Philippines

lobo
Posted
Posted
:AddEmoticons04230: I am just happy you are all learning, no matter what you learn it will make your lives in the Philippines easier by being able to accept what is since we all know it will be a long time before any meaningful changes come about.
the word " ACCEPT" is a popular filipino word in most forums and dating sites, conversations , and publications i have read and heard..ACCEPT ME FOR WHO I AMACCEPT US AS WE AREACCEPT ME AND LOVE ME AS I AM etc etc...ACCEPT ME AND BE KIND ,PATIENT, FUNNY , FORGIVING AND GENEROUS..accept that in a nation with a high tuberculin rate that it is normal to walk in our spit in the wet market and not complain..accept that when we throw our trash in your yard that it is normal and understand that we dont care if it makes you angry. accept that we dont care where our trash goes, it is after all just trash..accept that the roads are for pedestrians and not cars and drive accordingly..accept that god gave us oceans and seas and rivers and your yard to dump our wastes in...accept that it will take you 6 months to get a form which is on my desk because i would rather polish my nails and go to lunch.. accept that we are the way we are because we just dont care... we have other things to do and if you complain then you will face the rath of the pinay..well... ill just say that rather than accept any of the amazing eccentricities of the lovely indigenous folks i have not found so acceptable.. just TOLERABLE... TOLERABLE IS MAYBE A BETTER WORDTHE PRECEDING IS MY OWN EXPERIENCE AND IN NO WAY MEANT TO INCLUDE EACH AND EVERY CITIZEN OF THE RP..... :)THIS IS MY SHORT LIST.. THANKYOU FOR YOUR TIME...

lobo
Posted
Posted
I have learned that while wading in a low tide beach, the seaweed wrapped around your leg is usually a used babies diaper....do not grab it.
I AM REALLY REALLY REALLY RESISTING THIS.....
I know Lobo, I could also make negative comments with my own experiences windsurfing in Batangas and Cavite beaches, located south of Manila. But just to be fair, here in southern California, the nearest place to camp out or to go swimming is Lake Perris. It's one of the fresh water reservoirs that provide our drinking water. I was shock to find similar "trash" and other hazardous items. And finally, I wonder what the locals are saying when that off shore oil rig is still spewing millions of gallons of crude oil alongthe Gulf coast. Some say it was an accident waiting to happen due to corporate greed, incompetence and blatant violations of all safety standards. And again just to be fair, there will always be news articles about finding "salvaged" victims/body parts floating in Pasig River which runs through the city of Manila.I have tried to be a one man campaign against public littering but I'm just an insignificant bottom feeder.Inspector knows my frustration -- we are both familiar with sh&t river in Olongapo (my hometown).Respectfully -- Jake
I was reading an article about shet river Jake, that it was threatening the bay itself. Too...many.....people!
when the filipins discovered plastic , they discovered heaven on earth.. remember the whale shark found dead off the coast maybe last year? his belly full of plastic bags.. i think one of only 40 ever sighted , they are so rare... THEN THEY ATE HIM... PERHAPS A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST PROCTOR & GAMBLE...

Jake
Posted
Posted
:AddEmoticons04230: I am just happy you are all learning, no matter what you learn it will make your lives in the Philippines easier by being able to accept what is since we all know it will be a long time before any meaningful changes come about.
the word " ACCEPT" is a popular filipino word in most forums and dating sites, conversations , and publications i have read and heard..ACCEPT ME FOR WHO I AMACCEPT US AS WE AREACCEPT ME AND LOVE ME AS I AM etc etc...ACCEPT ME AND BE KIND ,PATIENT, FUNNY , FORGIVING AND GENEROUS..accept that in a nation with a high tuberculin rate that it is normal to walk in our spit in the wet market and not complain..accept that when we throw our trash in your yard that it is normal and understand that we dont care if it makes you angry. accept that we dont care where our trash goes, it is after all just trash..accept that the roads are for pedestrians and not cars and drive accordingly..accept that god gave us oceans and seas and rivers and your yard to dump our wastes in...accept that it will take you 6 months to get a form which is on my desk because i would rather polish my nails and go to lunch.. accept that we are the way we are because we just dont care... we have other things to do and if you complain then you will face the rath of the pinay..well... ill just say that rather than accept any of the amazing eccentricities of the lovely indigenous folks i have not found so acceptable.. just TOLERABLE... TOLERABLE IS MAYBE A BETTER WORDTHE PRECEDING IS MY OWN EXPERIENCE AND IN NO WAY MEANT TO INCLUDE EACH AND EVERY CITIZEN OF THE RP..... :)THIS IS MY SHORT LIST.. THANKYOU FOR YOUR TIME...
Hello LoBo,I believe Sampaguita gave an excellent advise how to "make life easier in the Philippines" -- to accept things as they are because "meaningful changes" will never happen within our lifetime. The other option of livingin the Philippines, as you suggested would be "to tolerate". Unfortunately, the "lovely indigenous folks" didnot have a choice from day one. We accepted the world around us as soon as our vision became cognizance.I again welcome you to my world -- you always have the option to travel/escape your intolerant nature."ACCEPT US AS WHAT WE ARE" -- Jake

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Is there any thing you like about the Philippines or its people? Why do you live there if life's so bad?

Jake
Posted
Posted
when the filipins discovered plastic , they discovered heaven on earth.. remember the whale shark found dead off the coast maybe last year? his belly full of plastic bags.. i think one of only 40 ever sighted , they are so rare... THEN THEY ATE HIM... PERHAPS A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST PROCTOR & GAMBLE...
Well hello again LoBo,It's always tragic to hear or witness these magnificent sea mammals being destroyed by mankind.It's too bad that when "filipins discovered plastic" it directly killed that whale shark. Even moretragic (even barbaric), was the locals "ATE HIM". What would be their other choice? Dig a verylong and deep grave and say a little prayer? If I was a poor village fisherman who found an alreadydead whale shark washed up on my beach, I would sharpen my knife and share the bounty to theother villagers, even the ones still using plastic.Lawsuit against Proctor and Gamble? Hell no, I would hire Tom from Texas (our resident counsel)and file a lawsuit against mankind.The remarks above is only my humble opinion and does not directly or indirectly implicate the staff of this wonderful forum.Jake

Singers
Posted
Posted
Hi Lobo,The sh1t weather here in UK is so unpredictable --- less than 2 weeks ago -1c. last week 33c and now 13c. Far more aggravating for me, as it causes me severe pain, than PI trash...Keep smiling John --- but come out SugarwareZ-267.gif only as a last resort my friend!.Kind regards,Tom in UK

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Howdy lobo. I wonder how they determined that the plastic in the whales stomach was from the Philippines? Did any or all of it say made in the Philippines? I am not familiar with what happened and that is why I ask. As you said it was a very rare sighting and there are many cruise and fishing ships from many different countries in the oceans out off the the Philippines, so could it also not be possible that the shark got some of that plastic while out in the ocean? It is definitely not a fair world and we all use way too many things that are not good for the environment and are slowly but surely poisoning our planet,  but I do not feel it would be fair to blame it on just the Filipino people in this instance because whales are rarely seen in the Philippines so just possibly it got the plastic somewhere else unless you are aware of my previous question being a fact? As for the people eating the whale, I feel that is a far better use of a dead animal than to just let it rot or to attempt to bury it which might have other ramifications to the earth. While I know you were probably joking about the law suit, maybe you and others should become activists to stop the use of plastics worldwide or to make sure that they are properly disposed of. Now begs the question, what is properly disposed of when it comes to plastics? Maybe just better that no one to ever use plastic disposable items at all? Then if that came to pass, I wonder how healthy it might be when people had to drink from the same glasses or bottles in the Philippines, since we know hot water is uncommon in many areas as well?  I often wondered while drinking my San Mig Lite out of a bottle, if the bottle had been cleaned properly. smileyvault-unsure.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I do not think we have a choice but to ACCEPT  or tolerate what is, for what else is the alternative but to leave, be miserable or to try to change, by possibly leading by example. Definition of ACCEPT 3 a : to endure without protest or reaction <accept poor living conditions> b : to regard as proper, normal, or inevitable <the idea is widely accepted> c : to recognize as trueTo me it is either accept the things I do not like or be miserable all the time and I refuse to allow things such as a different way of life to make me miserable when there are many wonderful things in the Philippines that also make me very happy while we are there. JMHO

UZI
Posted
Posted
:thumbs-up-smile: I am just happy you are all learning, no matter what you learn it will make your lives in the Philippines easier by being able to accept what is since we all know it will be a long time before any meaningful changes come about.
I do not think we have a choice but to ACCEPT or tolerate what is, for what else is the alternative but to leave, be miserable or to try to change, by possibly leading by example. Definition of ACCEPT 3 a : to endure without protest or reaction <accept poor living conditions> b : to regard as proper, normal, or inevitable <the idea is widely accepted> c : to recognize as trueTo me it is either accept the things I do not like or be miserable all the time and I refuse to allow things such as a different way of life to make me miserable when there are many wonderful things in the Philippines that also make me very happy while we are there. JMHO
:yes:In life there are undeniable 'Truths'. Is what Lobo says true - yes. Is it also true there are happy contented people living here - yes. Is it true that the elderly are respected & looked after here - yes. Is it true that for many that is not the case in so called 1st world countries - yes. Are there illiterate uneducated people in America & Uk - yes. Is there a strong sense of community in most 1st world countries - not anymore. Is it still strong here -yes. My point is, I can't change the truths in America or Africa or Cambodia or North Korea etc etc. I can though try to help in small ways my little piece of this planet by doing possitive things like donating to the local orphanage or supporting a scholarship fund raiser or just giving a kid a few peso in SM as they look at a packet of crisps & then be greeted months later by that same kid who just says hi kuya & skips off with a smile - priceless. She has a positive view of 'Kano's'.JMHOUzi.

lobo
Posted
Posted

i have learned that not all people with bad past histories and bad reputations are bad people when you make it a point to get to know them..i have learned that despite some tolerable short comings on my part as well as others that life is what you make it... i have learned that the la verdes passage has no equal literally and figuratively speaking and is the worlds most diverse marine ecosystem on the planet, soon to be a sanctuary.. half of this is fact and half of it is faith...i have learned that the filipinos are a fiercely spiritual people and whatever their beliefs are they have an undying faith that tomorrow is coming and will be better than today.. they insure this with their many ceremonial beliefs and they trust their powers..i have learned that it doesnt take a full shop of expensive tools to change a large diesel motor and in fact one man can do it with a chain and a pole and no jacks or hoists.. i have learned that situations that arise needing arbitration will be attended to in a most timely fashion and that family members who are needed to attend will travel days to be there and the problems will be solved before they leave..i have learned that the family core is still existent , tho some feel the new generation is growing away from it and they feel part of their culture is dying with it.. as an american i always wished i had a close family , but as an american i know it doesnt exist the same way it does in the filipins.. i have learned that the local service stations are happy to let me do my own car repairs and use their facility for free..i have learned that the conspicuous absence of police cruisers on every block or for that matter anywhere is a blessed and relieving sight.. i have learned that no matter how little someone has you will be invited to share it.. i have learned that often times only one small fish will be mixed with rice so that 10 people can have a taste of it..i have learned that for the price of only a liter of gas i can be escorted for the entire day on a boat cruise in any direction i chose..i have learned that if i help pull in the net i get a fair share of the catch..ive learned that you can eat ray and in fact most of the scallops you eat in restos is stamped from the ray wing.. the same thing is done with the skate in america.. i have learned that the people i meet will eat my cooking and tell me if it is really good..ive learned that its ok if i tell them i dont like what they serve me... :thumbs-up-smile: but i dont..i have learned that despite the history of oppression and corruption that the peoples smiles are real and they are only trying to live as good as they can like everyone else in the world.. ive learned not to go to anymore gov agencies unless it is a command performance..ive learned that the filipno is independent and the most resourceful people i have known.. i have learned that the pizza at shakeys is the real thing and i love their coffee..i have learned that you are not suppose to tip in restos or other places here for services.. i dont accept that..i have learned that i made the right decision coming to live in the RP.. the more i remember , the more ill share.. i learned not to stand under the coconut tree too long..