How Are Afro- Americans Perceived By The General Population Of Filopinos

wayneseymour
Posted
Posted

I don't want to start any cultural tensions among forum members but as a Afro-American with a Caribbean background planning to move to the Philippines I would like to get a genuine insight as to how I may be received once there. My GF and I have been talking to one another everyday now for about 6 months via web-cam so she knows what I look like and has no reservations as to my culture I have also seen and chatted with her brothers and her sister and other in-laws and have not felt any negative vibes ( although its web cam you can sometimes sense and see moods and expressions of people). They seem to accepted the fact of who I am and are always sending me greetings and pictures of them to my face-book...sometimes asking why I haven't replied if the time passes a few days and I have not responded to their face book greetings. I have no social hang-ups if other people dislike me for my background its how the world turns, I simply don't interact with them to avoid any unnecessary petty issues. However I am interested to know what I will be faced with so I will know how to adjust to whatever atmosphere that presents itself without offending anyone or being drawn into stupid confrontations. Here in the Cayman Islands are a vast number of Filipinos who come here to work. I have not heard of any issues with them and the general population. they seem to adapt to the change in environment very well and I have found them, to be very outgoing and friendly. Just doing this as part of my extensive research before the move. also looking for info on best banks to deal with. searched the forum but havent seen anything current. Thanks to all for any info or comments that will help.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Just don't be offended if you aren't referred as black or ... black American .... most Filipinos will referrer to you as Negro and the rest of what was said above is correct you will be stared at and discriminated just like all foreigners no big deal just ignore them ......

MileB I totally agree with the staring part if you stare at them they get offended and I have heard of cases where guys have actually been shot for staring at a Philipino ..... it is considered bad manners to stare ... unless you are a Filipino that is ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I think the color of your money is more important to most of them....

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I agree the others. Keep in mind you are a rich Kano named "Joe" that is of more interest than your skin tone.

Filipinos are avid basketball fans many play a mean game too. Don't be surprised if some will ask you about the NBA.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Wayne,

With a Filipino background, I by no means hold the final, all encompassing truth regarding your concern.

I will only base my comments solely on my observation dealing with both local Filipinos and those living

abroad.

In many instances I found that among the local population in the Philippines, achieving and maintaining

a financial status symbol is paramount. No matter if a Filipino is dark or light skin, if you don't drive a

nice car, own a nice home or have lots of maids/body guards -- you ain't chit. Here in the States, I have

noticed some superiority attitudes among Filipinos driving Mercedes or flashing their bling-bling while

attending church services. I drive a 1999 Honda Accord and I can see through their plastic hearts.

During the heydays of Vietnam war, my hometown of Olongapo catered to the 7th Fleet as their fantasy

world. One of the most popular areas of all the bars and nightclubs was called the Jungle. Yeah, it was

an open secret that the Jungle was mostly patronized by black military personnel. I personally did not

observe any prejudice due to skin color.

However, I believe today's modern society of the Philippines is somewhat corrupt by western values. Dave's

comments above is the modern reality check. Filipino's in general prefer lighter skin: job interviews, beauty

pageants, and magazine cover advertisements. Will this affect you Wayne?

As many has already agreed, I don't think so. If you respect yourself as well as others, life could be a tropical

paradise no matter where you reside. You don't need to flash your dollars because you already have a heart

of gold.

Welcome aboard sir -- Jake

• Like 5

GregZ
Posted
Posted

I just have to add a comment about HEIGHT. If you are 6 feet (2 meters) tall you'll find it IMPOSSIBLE to blend in. This is not necessarily 'bad' just a consideration for the amount of attention you draw. I am tall and my Filipina is very tall compared to the national average so we really draw attention... like a portable local (reverse tourist) attraction. :th_interesting: AND of course I am asked if I played basketball. No. We are in Cebu City and I have a few fans along the streets that I sometimes walk. Hey JOE! Even a "thank you" now and then. :867:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:thumbsup: Wayne! just be yourself, :)

:tiphat:

• Like 2