1. 1. was this story and links helpful?

• yes
    • no
    • doesnt apply to me

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

in a previous topic it was discussed about NOT HAVING A Return Ticket,

here is the latest news article regarding this .

MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Immigration (BI) on Sunday said it will slap fines on airlines bringing foreign tourists to the country without return tickets.

Immigration Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. instructed the BI airport operations division to impose fine on any airline which allows a foreign visitor to board its aircraft without a return ticket before flying to the Philippines .

He said the requirement on return tickets for tourists is an international rule that is practice worldwide.

"This rule is meant to guarantee that a foreign visitor will leave the host country at the lapse of his stay," the BI chief said.

David stressed that it should be the responsibility of the airlines to see to it that all their passengers who are traveling as tourists have procured the necessary return tickets.

He said those who do not have return tickets will be exclued and sent back to their port of origin.

Lawyer Ma. Antonette Mangrobang, BI spokesperson and intelligence chief, explained that under the immigration law aliens who arrived as tourists but do not have valid return or onward tickets shall be automatically excluded.

Mangrobang, however, stressed that balikbayans, who are also considered tourists but are admitted for one year, are exempted from the rule as a courtesy of being former Filipinos.

She stressed that although the exclusions have inconvenienced the excluded passengers, the bureau has no choice but to implement the law.

http://www.mb.com.ph...ket-requirement

here is the other news article basically the same

MANILA, Philippines - The Bureau of Immigration (BI) will start imposing administrative fines on airlines that allow foreign tourists bound for the Philippines to board their aircraft without return tickets.

Ben Se, immigration chief at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Airport Operations Division (AOD), said Immigration Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. had laid down a rule fining any airline that allows a Manila-bound foreign tourist to board its aircraft even without a return ticket.

David had stressed it is the responsibility of the airlines to see to it that all its passengers traveling as tourists have procured return tickets.

The requirement on return tickets for tourists is an international rule that is strictly implemented in almost all other countries in the world, as a “guarantee that a tourist will leave the host country before the lapse of his stay as a temporary visitor,” David explained.

David instructed immigration officers and their supervisors in ports of entry to strictly implement the rule on arriving foreign tourists. Those without return tickets will be excluded and sent back to their port of origin.

NAIA immigration officer Se cited Sec. 29 of the Immigration Act as basis for automatically excluding such tourists.

However, Se stressed, Balikbayans (returning Filipinos), who are also considered tourists but are admitted for one year, are exempted from the rule in deference to the fact that they are former citizens of the Philippines.

Carriers have been observing rule

Meanwhile, Ed Monreal, Airline Operators Council (AOC) chairperson and Cathay Pacific Station Manager at NAIA, said their members are already implementing the "NO return ticket,NO entry to the Philippines" on all tourists.

“Matagal na iyan, it’s the bureau’s regulation and our members are already informed of this policy, but we will again issue new guidelines to all our members in line with Commissioner David’s directive.

http://www.interaksy...tly-at-airports

listed are some related links on this topic

http://www.philippin...-return-ticket/

http://www.philippin...et-easy-to-get/

http://www.philippin...icket-confused/

http://www.philippin...ckets-question/

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 3

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

This has been in forced for a long time . The airlines all demand a ongoing ticket or its there loss fly you back and get a large fine.

So immigration has a easy time letting you in because they already know you have a on going ticket .

The 21 day on going ticket is the question that needs to be cleared up . I have never been asked for my on going ticket even when we went to Hongkong for a few days.

They are making BOI as fast and easy as possible for tourists my last renewal I was in and out in 25 minutes . I used to pay to get it done because it could eat up most of a day before.

I believe Immigration has a welcome policy for tourists very very few get turned back . ( And from what I can see they really are not fussy about who they let visit) :no:

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)
Mangrobang, however, stressed that balikbayans, who are also considered tourists but are admitted for one year, are exempted from the rule as a courtesy of being former Filipinos.

So does this mean that a foreign person although married to a Filipino would be required to get an ongoing ticket as they are not and never have been a Filipino ..... or does the envelope of balikbayan cover that for spouses and children ..... if so you better have a copy of the LAW with you as some airlines may get a bit confused .....

Also my thoughts are that the Philippine government doesn't want to play the bad guy so let the airlines do it ..... after all it is "More Fun In The Philippines" and they want all the tourists to come here ..... well their money anyway .... if they would "stay home and just send the money" it would be a lot better ...... ..... hey ... how about that for a slogan "Just Stay Home But Send the Money" .... hey I kinda like that it has a pleasant ring to it ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I wonder if the yachties have to prove there is enough wind to blow them clear of Philippine waters before they are permitted to dock.

The requirement on return tickets for tourists is an international rule that is strictly implemented in almost all other countries in the world,
BTW, I have traveled extensively in 4 continents and never been asked for an exit ticket, except in the Philippines, every time. So this is political bullchit. I am sure there are other places that impose it on some nationalities (like the US does on filipinos) but it ain't my experience.
  • Like 2

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I wonder if the yachties have to prove there is enough wind to blow them clear of Philippine waters before they are permitted to dock.

That's easy, just wait for a politician to open his mouth!

A friend of mine wants to sail his 47ft boat there some day. He is enjoying Mexico to much at the moment.

• Like 2

johnb
Posted
Posted

So does this mean that a foreign person although married to a Filipino would be required to get an ongoing ticket as they are not and never have been a Filipino ..... or does the envelope of balikbayan cover that for spouses and children ..... if so you better have a copy of the LAW with you as some airlines may get a bit confused .....

Also my thoughts are that the Philippine government doesn't want to play the bad guy so let the airlines do it ..... after all it is "More Fun In The Philippines" and they want all the tourists to come here ..... well their money anyway .... if they would "stay home and just send the money" it would be a lot better ...... ..... hey ... how about that for a slogan "Just Stay Home But Send the Money" .... hey I kinda like that it has a pleasant ring to it ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

On the third of August my wife and I will fly to Hong kong from Cebu, then return after a few days, at present I have a tourist visa but will attempt for a Balibayan stamp on my return, as it happens I have to leave the Philippines again for the UK in November so I already have an onward ticket out of the Philippines, but I am interested to see what happens in Hongkong if they ask for an onward ticket when i tell them i will be staying in the Philippines on a Balibayan stamp, I can of course produce my eticket for november if required,

The other question of wether an onward ticket is required to be dated within the initial 21 day visa period, i have always had an onward ticket but never one within the 21 day period, and on the odd occasion i have been asked i simply say that my ticket is open and I can change the date as required, its never been a problem, years ago I would just buy a ferry ticket from Philippines to Malaysia as my onward journey, then leave the country with my wife on one of cebu pacific promo flights, then return and get my BB stamp, the ferry company are based in cebu and would refund the ferry ticket price minus a 20% handling charge.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
simply say that my ticket is open and I can change the date as required,

I love it. And so simple. I will use that answer next time I am asked and do not have my ticket within the 21 days. There is no way they can prove or disprove your statement and it is always true as one can always change the date by throwing that ticket away and buying another.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Just wondering, My wife will have dual citizenship by the time we fly in december. She (and I as her spouse) qualify for the Balikbayan visa, and there for do not need an on ward ticket. (according to all that i have read, even on the Los Angeles Phil consulate web site) I guess the smart thing to do is inform the Airline of our status upon purchace of the ticket to insure there is no complications. Ideas?

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Just wondering, My wife will have dual citizenship by the time we fly in december. She (and I as her spouse) qualify for the Balikbayan visa, and there for do not need an on ward ticket. (according to all that i have read, even on the Los Angeles Phil consulate web site) I guess the smart thing to do is inform the Airline of our status upon purchace of the ticket to insure there is no complications. Ideas?

You may be eligible for the BB stamp but it's not issued until you are in front of Philippine Immigration and it may be denied for some arbitrary reason. The airline is within their rights (to protect themselves) to require the onward ticket. When you consider all the costs of traveling to the other side of the world a $20 onward ticket is a small price to avoid any possible problem. I would get it within the 21 or 59 day window of your initial visa. jmo.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I guess the smart thing to do is inform the Airline of our status upon purchace of the ticket to insure there is no complications. Ideas?

That is the best idea. They will probably tell you they are not permitted to do it for you but for her it is fine. It means you will(may) need to buy only one throw away ticket. But the really good part about the idea is you will hear that directly from the airline.

You can read my thought on asking the airline on the thread I just posted:

Its useless to ask the airlines or your travel agent. When you show up at the gate, remember what you learned on this forum. It will save you a lot of stress.

• Like 1