It

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

An over 60 year old American told me that he asks for the senior discount at McDonalds and gets it, so I have to wonder if this law was made to include non Filipinos or is it as I suspect it was meant, for Filipinos only? The second questions is, has anyone else asked for a senior discount and gotten it? Also, do members feel it is right for us non Filipinos to ask for a discount? I do not feel it is the correct thing to do and I will not ask for the discount because the Philippines needs all the income it can get to try to deal with all the inefficiencies in the country. What do you think?The whole story hereHere is more info on this and it clearly says resident citizenmore info on the new law

TheMason
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't see a problem with foreign senior citizens asking for a discount. I doubt they'll get it in most places, but there's no harm in asking for one.

I do not feel it is the correct thing to do and I will not ask for the discount because the Philippines needs all the income it can get to try to deal with all the inefficiencies in the country. What do you think?
Asking for discounts is part of the culture here. Its pretty rare that you pay the posted price for anything. I even ask for discounts at SM and other department stores. I seldom get a discount there, but I have scored free items by asking them to toss them in to a large purchase I'm makeing. It is not my responsibility or desire to supplement Filipino income by paying a higher price than necessary. If I ask for the discount and they give it to me, that's a business decision they make to earn my business. I've been known to bargain over 1 or 2 pesos, you can bet I'm going after 20% if I can get it. If some businesses gave me the senior discount and others tell me no...I would never shop at the stores that turned me down again. However, I would go back there to tell them their competition is giving a discount and give them the opportunity to match the offer.EDIT: To clarify, the 20% discount has been in place for a long time. The law that was just signed is to exempt senior citizens from VAT on their purchases. You need to have an official ID card and earn less than 60,000 php per year. So the govt. discount is not likely to be available to expats, but you can always ask the merchant for a discount anyway. Edited by TheMason
  • Like 1

mike
Posted
Posted (edited)
I don't see a problem with foreign senior citizens asking for a discount. I doubt they'll get it in most places, but there's no harm in asking for one.
I do not feel it is the correct thing to do and I will not ask for the discount because the Philippines needs all the income it can get to try to deal with all the inefficiencies in the country. What do you think?
Asking for discounts is part of the culture here. Its pretty rare that you pay the posted price for anything. I even ask for discounts at SM and other department stores. I seldom get a discount there, but I have scored free items by asking them to toss them in to a large purchase I'm makeing. It is not my responsibility or desire to supplement Filipino income by paying a higher price than necessary. If I ask for the discount and they give it to me, that's a business decision they make to earn my business. I've been known to bargain over 1 or 2 pesos, you can bet I'm going after 20% if I can get it. If some businesses gave me the senior discount and others tell me no...I would never shop at the stores that turned me down again. However, I would go back there to tell them their competition is giving a discount and give them the opportunity to match the offer.EDIT: To clarify, the 20% discount has been in place for a long time. The law that was just signed is to exempt senior citizens from VAT on their purchases. You need to have an official ID card and earn less than 60,000 php per year. So the govt. discount is not likely to be available to expats, but you can always ask the merchant for a discount anyway.
This is an abusers charter.looks like all grocery shopping, meds etc will now be done with senior present to get the Evat discount.Grand child auto will be bought by senior with evat discount and of course full payment refunded form grateful kids etc.I get the feeling that the miniscule amount of benefits the foreign seniors would get will have little or no impact even if they are entitled.The well off seniors with the big bucks who do not need the evat relief now qualify. Same old story, when the music stops someone somewhere will be without a sofa set let alone a chair!!I can see this being a very retrograde step and the Phils needs to raise and ensure accountability for all taxes.I think they could have raised more taxes by ensuring it is collected better and ensure that all politicians only ever receive and collect on fully audited funds. That way there is more funds to help those who are in need. Makati city runs a program for its seniors but they are assessed to ensure no trojans in there.This is another example of not thinking through the problem. Edited by mike

UZI
Posted
Posted
Asking for discounts is part of the culture here. Its pretty rare that you pay the posted price for anything. I even ask for discounts at SM and other department stores. I seldom get a discount there, but I have scored free items by asking them to toss them in to a large purchase I'm makeing. It is not my responsibility or desire to supplement Filipino income by paying a higher price than necessary. If I ask for the discount and they give it to me, that's a business decision they make to earn my business. I've been known to bargain over 1 or 2 pesos, you can bet I'm going after 20% if I can get it. If some businesses gave me the senior discount and others tell me no...I would never shop at the stores that turned me down again. However, I would go back there to tell them their competition is giving a discount and give them the opportunity to match the offer.EDIT: To clarify, the 20% discount has been in place for a long time. The law that was just signed is to exempt senior citizens from VAT on their purchases. You need to have an official ID card and earn less than 60,000 php per year. So the govt. discount is not likely to be available to expats, but you can always ask the merchant for a discount anyway.
This is an abusers charter.looks like all grocery shopping, meds etc will now be done with senior present to get the Evat discount.Grand child auto will be bought by senior with evat discount and of course full payment refunded form grateful kids etc.I get the feeling that the miniscule amount of benefits the foreign seniors would get will have little or no impact even if they are entitled.The well off seniors with the big bucks who do not need the evat relief now qualify. Same old story, when the music stops someone somewhere will be without a sofa set let alone a chair!!I can see this being a very retrograde step and the Phils needs to raise and ensure accountability for all taxes.I think they could have raised more taxes by ensuring it is collected better and ensure that all politicians only ever receive and collect on fully audited funds. That way there is more funds to help those who are in need. Makati city runs a program for its seniors but they are assessed to ensure no trojans in there.This is another example of not thinking through the problem.
Guys,This topic is battered to death on all the forums. Three points:1. We are NOT Filipino CITIZENS.2. Do any of you really only have an income 60, 000 PISO A YEAR. If you do, what do you live on, as that WOULD make a great read.3. Mike - No EVAT on food anyway.Whether someone you know has the card or not, do you really want to risk jail & deportation for a few Piso discount here & there?UZI

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
This is an abusers charter.looks like all grocery shopping, meds etc will now be done with senior present to get the Evat discount.Grand child auto will be bought by senior with evat discount and of course full payment refunded form grateful kids etc.I get the feeling that the miniscule amount of benefits the foreign seniors would get will have little or no impact even if they are entitled.The well off seniors with the big bucks who do not need the evat relief now qualify. Same old story, when the music stops someone somewhere will be without a sofa set let alone a chair!!I can see this being a very retrograde step and the Phils needs to raise and ensure accountability for all taxes.I think they could have raised more taxes by ensuring it is collected better and ensure that all politicians only ever receive and collect on fully audited funds. That way there is more funds to help those who are in need. Makati city runs a program for its seniors but they are assessed to ensure no trojans in there.This is another example of not thinking through the problem.
Guys,This topic is battered to death on all the forums. Three points:1. We are NOT Filipino CITIZENS.2. Do any of you really only have an income 60, 000 PISO A YEAR. If you do, what do you live on, as that WOULD make a great read.3. Mike - No EVAT on food anyway.Whether someone you know has the card or not, do you really want to risk jail & deportation for a few Piso discount here & there?UZI
Hi Mate,£ 900 Uk Pounds.? A Year??. The message is ----- "keep a low profile".From above --"I do not feel it is the correct thing to do and I will not ask for the discount".ME 2.Tomps PM coming 2U. T Edited by Singers

mike
Posted
Posted (edited)
Agreed no evat on food, there is more to grocery shopping than food, my last bill has 40 % for other items from the same place such as cleaning materials etc and other items, EVAT charged.I am not sure we are after any discount at all, the wider question is the benefit or not of such a proposal in terms of national finances. I am a baby anyway so do not qualify.This 60 thou a year rule seems only to apply for city discounts for senior citizens(Makati city style) and not the universal discount. Then again there are lots of contradictory articles written on the subject by Filipinos who are meant to know more about the subject they are leaking press releases on.23_11_60[2].gif Edited by mike

UZI
Posted
Posted
Agreed no evat on food, there is more to grocery shopping than food, my last bill has 40 % for other items from the same place such as cleaning materials etc and other items, EVAT charged.I am not sure we are after any discount at all, the wider question is the benefit or not of such a proposal in terms of national finances. I am a baby anyway so do not qualify.This 60 thou a year rule seems only to apply for city discounts for senior citizens(Makati city style) and not the universal discount. Then again there are lots of contradictory articles written on the subject by Filipinos who are meant to know more about the subject they are leaking press releases on.23_11_60[2].gif
Mike,Nothing to do with articles written by anyone. This is the law as in Republic Act (RA) 9257 Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2003It says:
"SEC. 4. Privileges for the Senior Citizens.

mike
Posted
Posted
Agreed no evat on food, there is more to grocery shopping than food, my last bill has 40 % for other items from the same place such as cleaning materials etc and other items, EVAT charged.I am not sure we are after any discount at all, the wider question is the benefit or not of such a proposal in terms of national finances. I am a baby anyway so do not qualify.This 60 thou a year rule seems only to apply for city discounts for senior citizens(Makati city style) and not the universal discount. Then again there are lots of contradictory articles written on the subject by Filipinos who are meant to know more about the subject they are leaking press releases on.23_11_60[2].gif
Mike,Nothing to do with articles written by anyone. This is the law as in Republic Act (RA) 9257 Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2003It says:
"SEC. 4. Privileges for the Senior Citizens.
  • Like 1