Homes From Shipping Containers

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Since someone mentioned it, I was just reading this article and thought I would post this. Other neat photos at the link. Having come a long way from their utilitarian purpose—the transport, storage, and handling of various goods—corrugated steel shipping containers have attracted the eye and attention of architects and city planners alike. post-40-0-38715100-1314479754_thumb.jpg Recycled shipping containers such as this one are blending environmentalism with style. post-40-0-93393400-1314479771_thumb.jpgA simple, single-container home interior. post-40-0-02740100-1314479788_thumb.jpg Bicycle parking abounds in this Dutch container complex. This one surprised me.

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

10 years ago a friend of mine was taking an architectural class and came up with an idea using compressed straw bales and a shipping container. The straw bales would make up the walls and the shipping container would be cut at the base, raised up and become the roof. Since seeing his design, I always kept the thought in the back of my mind to use shipping containers for some sort of housing idea.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Someone was advertising container homes for a long time on Cebu Classifieds, haven't seen it there for awhile now so not sure if its still done.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

After seeing the third photo in the post above that I made, I was wondering how hard it might be to put something like that together in the Philippines for housing for the poor, or an inexpensive hotel for visitors. Maybe someone should give the idea to the Philippine govt.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
After seeing the third photo in the post above that I made, I was wondering how hard it might be to put something like that together in the Philippines for housing for the poor, or an inexpensive hotel for visitors. Maybe someone should give the idea to the Philippine govt.
Read above post :bash:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The shipping container homes for sale in Cebu were going for a million pesos and that is too much in my view. In addition, having spent too much time living in a mobile home, which is basicly a metal box like a shipping container, I can tell you they are too dam hot to enjoy living in one in this climate, unless you want to spend a small fortune on aircon which defeats the low cost idea. I'm wondering about the idea of a concrete walled home built into the side of a hill so one side will be cooled to the temperature of the ground. What I am concerned about it eventual pressure caving in the wall and moisture getting through the concrete wall.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I knew a beach front owner who have used old salvaged shipping containers used as an office/home and didn't fare well exposed to the ocean breeze, because they tend to corrode so quickly if not treated to prevent from rusting! All 3 of his salvaged metal shipping containers just rusted away and crumbled to the ground over time!