What To Bring With You When You Move To The Philippines

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Moving to P.I. early next year. Been doing a lot of research mostly. I will be living in Aklan. I will build a house on some land previously bought by Filipina wife. I will be filing soon here from L.A. for a 13g visa. Hello to everyone, and is there anything I should bring with me when I arrive? I've been to the Philippines as a sailor in 1988. As a civilian on vacation in 2007 and 2009. I now am planning to make it my home.
One thing I can tell you to be sure to bring is multiple copies of original important papers, such as certified copies of birth certificate, marriage license, divorce papers, etc. Whenever you file important things with the govt agencies of the Philippines, you may be asked for an original copy and they are a lot easier to bring with you than obtain them if you should happen to need them while already living in the Philippines. A VOIP phone number registered with your banks and credit card companies will be a big help when having to deal with them, and a good stock of US dollar checks (it says California in your location) if you intend to keep your US bank and deposit US checks instead of having to pay fees to transfer money. I hope others will chime in with more answers.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Ditto on what Kuya Lee said! You just have to bring a few 15'' or 17" laptops as hand carry because they're too pricey here! Magic Jack a must bring item! An ice chest full of frozen USDA meats of all type and thick cut, you'll be the life of our dinner parties, just bring the steaks! Some good assortment of hand tools that don't rust! Engine timing light! Screw extractor! Moving to the province? A couple of good quality AC/DC 100v to 220v generator set (diesel, gas, light oil, bio fuel, fuel cell etc) will be a great asset during those long brown outs after a hurricane! Those were just a few at the top of my head! Oh! And beef jerky BTW if you're a beef jerky lover! The hot and spicy kind and not the fat free kind either! And mixed trail nuts from Costco!

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Hey Art, Is the list you made the things I should bring along when I move to PI, or a list of things you desire for me to bring you on my next visit? :hystery:danny

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Was just gonna say, sounds like art is angling for a house warming invitation lol

lou
Posted
Posted

If you are needing any meds bring a BIG stash cause you will have trouble finding exact replacements here.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Hey Art, Is the list you made the things I should bring along when I move to PI, or a list of things you desire for me to bring you on my next visit? :hystery:danny
Danny, Just the beef jerky and USDA steaks, but I don't yet have a BBQ grill, it'll have to be pan fried steaks! I already have a Magic Jack, a couple of laptops, assorted hand tools, don't need a generator in the suburbs, the screw extractor and timing light, have no use for it now, I retired! Scott h,Bring the priest, because our house hasn't yet been blessed! How do like your steak pan fried? Jake, :cheersty:Bring the Mojo! Lee, Bring yourself & Nila! E.J.,Bring some boom-boom in G-strings! Note BTW: the feery boat or plane fare isn't included if any of you don't live in Luzon! :)
  • Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
If you are needing any meds bring a BIG stash cause you will have trouble finding exact replacements here.
Also if you are going to bring meds, then it is a good idea to get a note from your doctor which says what you are being treated for, and listing each med and what it is for. That it the law and while they rarely check, if they do then you could get in trouble or worse, if you do not have the letter, and they could confiscate the drugs. Bringing Medicine into the Philippines Over the counter drugs are available in pharmacies or drug stores in the country. However, if visitors insist on bringing their own prescriptive drugs, they may do so but only in quantities sufficient for the duration of their stay in the country.Visitors taking prescription drugs (tablets and ampoules) should bring a letter from their physician stating the condition for which they are receiving treatment and the dosage. The amount of drugs brought into the country should also be sufficient for the duration of the visit. For those who are travelling onward to another country, they are advised that separate quantity of drugs should be sealed and declared again before exiting the country.