Rp Police ‘Like Capone-Era Cops’ — Us Cable

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Interesting comparison. :cheersty: IMHO this will help relations between foreigners and the police, and especially those thought to be Americans. 09/08/2011US diplomats saw Philippine police to be as corrupt as Chicago cops in the Al Capone era who tortured, extorted and even murdered suspected criminals, according to a leaked embassy cable.The 2005 cable, sent apparently by the then number two at the US Embassy in Manila, outlined in colorful language what it said was “endemic” corruption within the 117,000-member Philippine police force.“Mission observers compare the PNP (Philippine National Police) to police forces in Al Capone’s Chicago, or 1940s ‘LA Confidential’ Los Angeles,” said the cable published by anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks“Apart from corruption, many cops undertake inves-tigative short cuts that often employ physical abuse, the planting of evidence, and some-times — allegedly under guidance from local elected officials — the extra-judicial killing of criminal suspects.” Link to the complete story

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

All very well but are these opinions of the diplomats or did they provide evidence?

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

I do understand the civilized educated democratic process stand against extra judicial killings. And yes, I do also understand the 'where does it stop' arguments. Having said that..... as long as the 'right people' are being killed, it is hard to get public suport to stop the killings when the public is aware of who was killed and what they did and that maybe they got what they deserved thinking comes in. It is interesting that if you are riding a jeepny and a robber man sticks a gun in your face and robs you and the other riders, and an undercover cop pulls his gun and shoots him dead very few people would get upset. Same logic applies if the cops find him and when they try to arrest him, he shoots, they shoot, he dies. But if the cops locate him and follow him and just shoot him to save the tax papers the money.... then it becomes an extra judicial killing and that is wrong. Same guy dies, and it does save tax dollars! Now, before anyone posts about shoplifters or jaywalking..... please read the 1st paragraph on my post.

Edited by Bruce

sjp52
Posted
Posted
I do understand the civilized educated democratic process stand against extra judicial killings. And yes, I do also understand the 'where does it stop' arguments. Having said that..... as long as the 'right people' are being killed, it is hard to get public suport to stop the killings when the public is aware of who was killed and what they did and that maybe they got what they deserved thinking comes in. It is interesting that if you are riding a jeepny and a robber man sticks a gun in your face and robs you and the other riders, and an undercover cop pulls his gun and shoots him dead very few people would get upset. Same logic applies if the cops find him and when they try to arrest him, he shoots, they shoot, he dies. But if the cops locate him and follow him and just shoot him to save the tax papers the money.... then it becomes an extra judicial killing and that is wrong. Same guy dies, and it does save tax dollars! Now, before anyone posts about shoplifters or jaywalking..... please read the 1st paragraph on my post.
Only problem is sometimes they have the wrong guy

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Only problem is sometimes they have the wrong guy
"OOPS".... I HATE when that happens!