Crab Mentality; Is It A Misunderstood Cultural Norm?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Lee’s question to do with my extended families gaming each other got me to thinking.In our families case I know of no extended family members that are in real need some think they are some make poor financial choices but in the end they all have enough to eat and a roof over their heads.Is crab mentality actually sometimes nothing more than expecting the better off family members to “share the wealth”?

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
Lee’s question to do with my extended families gaming each other got me to thinking.In our families case I know of no extended family members that are in real need some think they are some make poor financial choices but in the end they all have enough to eat and a roof over their heads.Is crab mentality actually sometimes nothing more than expecting the better off family members to “share the wealth”?
Actually, it's more like a jealousy thing. Instead of the Jones' trying to out do you, it's I can't compete with what you have so I will destroy you. What they can't have they will destroy. Again a "Face" thing.
  • Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I wish I was smart enough to put my finger on the problem, and then work towards fixing it or making it workable for us, but it does seem there is a major issue that we all need to understand before getting involved or married into a family which may then rely on us for help or guidance. IMO one of the issues is that we are often looked up to, so often problems are dropped in our laps with the hope that we will have the answer.
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I haven't really caught on as to what "crab mentality" means! Does it have anything to do with when one moves from side to side with two out streched arms and palms open towards who's at the right or left of him/her? A crab can't move backwards with arms and palms behind his back, but the crab has both of his claws in front him in order to get more of his food and so with people asking for hand outs, it's with both arms streched in front of them with both palms cupped together in order to receive more and not just in one palm from the left or right of him/her! Nah! I'm probably way off huh? So never mind what I said here! Sounds stupid! Or maybe not! I really don't know either way!

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm not contradicting, but if put in that way, those crabs don't have a chance in hell crawling out of that fisherman's basket, because they have nothing to cling on to! It doesn't seem like a practical scenario to apply to people, because people in general have hope and faith among their fellow men and women when the chips are down or in a corner trying to fight their way out no manner what the cost! Ring any bells? Pearl Harbor, WWII, Viet Nam, Korean War, 9/11 etc!

Edited by Art2ro

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I agree Steve, many times jealousy is the prime definition of "Crab Mentality".Do you think family-tribal traditions of sharing comes into play?

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
I agree Steve, many times jealousy is the prime definition of "Crab Mentality".Do you think family-tribal traditions of sharing comes into play?
I would have to say no. I believe it's the "If I can't have it, no one else will either"