Police Nab Briton In Liloan

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Foreigners in the news seems to becoming a daily thing, I sure wish some were good stories of good things foreigners are doing. :hystery: Well this one is yet another family dispute, but at least she did not have him killed, well not yet that is :unsure: and I hope never. A BRITISH national wanted for carnapping in the island of Camiguin was arrested in the northern town of Liloan, Cebu over the weekend. Police arrested 57-year-old Colin Pulman inside his house in Barangay Jubay at 10:35 a.m. last Saturday by virtue of a warrant of arrest. The arrest warrant was issued by Executive Judge Rustico Paderanga of the Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 28 of Mambajao, Camiguin last Aug. 23. Liloan Police Station Chief Richard Oliver told Sun.Star Cebu Pulman was accused by his wife of taking a Nissan vehicle. Pulman, a former British police officer, was reportedly separated from his wife. He lived in Liloan with another partner. Oliver further said Pulman was arrested early this year for a case violating Republic Act 9262 or the Anti-Violence Against Women and Children Act of 2004. He is out on bail, Oliver said. Oliver said Pulman claimed that he is not on good terms with his estranged wife. Pulman, who already retired from service, said he earns money through his pension. Pulman, however, told Oliver that he ran out of money that he could use to bail himself out. Oliver said he will ask for help from Liloan Mayor Vincent Franco “Duke” Frasco in sending Pulman back to Camiguin.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I'm constantly learning new things:"Carnapping" is the taking, with intent to gain, of a motor vehicle belonging to another without the latter's consent, or by means of violence against or intimidation of persons, or by using force upon things."Violation of RA 6539. I believe the term is unique to the Philippines?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Seems like the car was taken from the wife? Must be in her name or she would have no case. So why put a vehicle in the wife's name? Not required here unless he was hoodwinked.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

The main thing for us to understand about all this is simple, we non Filipinos have few rights while in their country and Filipino citizens with money or who know someone have all the rights, so tread lightly or suffer the consequences. I imagine that this fellow will either need to pay off his wife to have the charges dropped, or possibly spend a good amount of time in the beautiful jails of the Philippines, and then end up deported anyway, and possibly or probably blacklisted if she wishes it so, with her keeping any and all assets she can get her hands on, and if blacklisted, she will be probably be able to get assets that are in his name alone by using the system and showing she is his wife. Of course all that is just my guess from seeing and hearing of such things happening to other expats. I also do not believe the vehicle had to be in her name, as possession by a wife who says it was hers might be enough in the country where laws often do not make sense to us.