What Would You Do If All Electronics Shut Down

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

This is not to scare anyone, this is to make people think, because disasters can happen, and all we can do is hope it never does, but if one should, would you be prepared? There is a good chance that someday in the future, that one country might use an EMP weapon toward another country, or a solar flare could wipe out or seriously harm electronics in one or more countries, or another underwater earthquake could wipe out the cables below the sea connecting the Philippines to other countries as one did for a short time years ago, so what would you do if you could no longer get money from the ATM machine because your home country or the Philippines was totally offline for weeks, or months? Damn it is hard enough to save nowadays but what about having a reserve fund in cash. My wife and I have bank accounts in the Philippines, and we do our best to keep enough money in pisos in them to sustain us for a few months, but how many of you have built up a reserve fund for emergencies or something as crazy as a solar flare or EMP attack on your home country, or a major underwater earthquake? How many of you keep food around the house that could sustain you for weeks or months? Maybe it is time to think about working in that direction. I was never a boy scout but I was always brought up to be prepared, so while I feel the Philippines would most likely never be a country to be attacked with such a weapon, it would not be exempt from a solar flare or an earthquake, and while I feel most people in the Philippines could survive just fine without electronics working for a period of time, how about without money to buy food since most live day to day? Again my post is not to scare anyone or be negative, my post is to wake people up to the reality that crazy things can happen, and are happening all over the globe, so having a credit card as a back up plan might not cut it if all goes to hell. Life After An EMP Attack: No Power, No Food, No Transportation, No Banking And No Internet

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

​My wife's gold jewelry works pretty well as back up cash at our nearest pawn shop! It happened long ago when all of my direct deposits were put on hold because my U.S. bank account inadvertently got closed out! Later I found out, after my mother passed away, I forgot that my name was on her account, the bank closed her and my accounts all at the same time! It took me 45 days to reinstate my account and get my direct deposit going into my account again. That was a real pain in the butt! Life After An EMP Attack: No Power, No Food, No Transportation, No Banking and No Internet We're all screwed!

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Some of you Expats might not have heard, but we had a severe "blackout" here in Socal last week. Power was out from the Mexican border all the way up to Orange County, from the San Diego beaches all the way to Yuma Arizona. We are talking comlete black out. Now my Asawa being filipina, and both of us in our 50's where prepared, battery operated radio, flashlights, candles, water and enough food for a while. While the younger gerenation was trying to find there way around darken hallways and such by the light of their cell phones. pretty comical. Now in the case of a real EMP. I agree with Art. We are totally screwed. Becuase an EMP will not only knock out your electicity but also fry every computer chip in range. AND EVERYTHING HAS A COMPUTER CHIP in it nowdays

Bruce
Posted
Posted

As long as I am where I want to be and not 'in travel', I will be fine. If in Florida, I will be shooting looters to pass the time..... If I am in Samar, well they do fine with no electricity and as for computers and cell phones I will just have to manage. With 92,000,000 +++ people in the Philippines, I don't think I will go hungry... er, ...ah...... did that come out right? hehehehehehe

• 2 weeks later...
twostrokes
Posted
Posted

I was in Angeles City when Mt. Pinatubo blew it's top. Things were hectic for sure. I moved up to La Union and when I loaded up my food supply, I realized I had stockpiled enough canned goods to last 6 months, also The freezer had held until I could get power to it, so did not lose any of the 200-300lbs of meat and fish I had in there. I successfully moved it all to La Union. Cash was another problem since the Banks on the base were gone. I had an average of only about a thousand dollars in the local banks but it was enough for me to start a check deposit system from my stateside bank to my local bank which took about 30 days to clear. We managed to get by through limiting spending to only necessities which mainly ment rent, utilities and a little gas money for the truck. Here in the states I keep an average of 6 months supply of food at all times. I also keep 90 lbs of whole wheat in air tight storage container, have my own mill and can bake bread if necessary. That would be in my solar oven which I can use about 300+ days of the year. I also try to keep at least 3-4 cases of bottled water and purification tablets available at all times. As someone else said, the wife's gold would be our cash supply. I do not keep cash around the house. As far as cell phones and computer, I could turn them off tomorrow land would not miss them more than 15 minutes.

• 4 weeks later...
piglett
Posted
Posted

i live in the lakes region of new hampshire so there are plenty of places to fish.also plenty of fire wood for the wood stove so heat is no problemi have about 100 gallons of diesel which i could use as lamp oil even though K1 is better.no cell phone ....sweet i'm starting to already like the idea. piglett

• Like 1

Travis
Posted
Posted

there would be riots in the streets with those that do not have coz they refused to prepare or spent their money on unnecessary items such as booze & drugs then trying to take from those that do so I would stay home as much as possible & protect my supplies with my shotgun. stock up coz terrible things may happen so I got lots of buckshot hehehehe

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

The fortunate people would be, those already living off the land for years! They'll probably not notice anything unusual even if all the electronics around the world has shut down forever! It's just all in a day's work to them as usual! So, it would be good if one's family has a working farm to fall back on! Suburban and or city folks would all just be SOL!