Ph 'restricts Property Rights Of Married Women': Wb, Ifc

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Something very important for men to be aware of. While majority of the world’s countries deem property bought or acquired before marriage as separately owned by couples who marry and all properties acquired after marriage as conjugal, only six countries deem all properties acquired before and after marriage conjugal.  Based on the report, the Philippines, along with Burundi, Namibia, the Netherlands, Rwanda and South Africa, deem all properties acquired before and during the marriage as conjugal property of the couple. Under the new Family Code of the Philippines issued in July 1987, once a couple marries, all their properties before they marry and after becomes conjugal. This applies to couples married 1988 and onward.  However, this can be voided if there is a legal document like a pre-nuptial agreement that is entered into by a couple. Under a pre-nuptial agreement, couples can declare their inheritance or properties owned before they marry as their own and not part of any conjugal property they have with their spouse.Link to the complete story

audrey55
Posted
Posted

I have reservation about this article, being an OFW and still single i have already acquired property in the Philippines under my name together w/ benefits and pensions and i really don't know what will happened to all my hard- earned asset once i get married, since more than 5% of filipino OFW's are female, i'm pretty sure that these women already owned properties and asset than filipino males,on the other hand i know there's a lot of jobless women in the Phils who are dreaming of marrying a well-off pinoy or non-pinoy husband.But imho, i think it's quite unfair to share 1/2 of your assets (being a conjugal properties) to your partner once the marriage doesn't work, since he/she didn't contribute any single amount to that property before the marriage, it was only right that the property belongs to the rightful owner or to their children.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

However, this can be voided if there is a legal document like a pre-nuptial agreement that is entered into by a couple. Under a pre-nuptial agreement, couples can declare their inheritance or properties owned before they marry as their own and not part of any conjugal property they have with their spouse. “The absolute community of property between spouses shall commence at the precise moment that the marriage is celebrated. Any stipulation, express or implied, for the commencement of the community regime at any other time shall be void,” Article 88 of the new Family Code of the Philippines stated. http://www.abs-cbnne...ed-women-wb-ifc This could be or can all be avoided IF the soon to be married couple would have a PRE-NUPITAL agreement so very simple, if people would invest a few hours of time to know what the "rules/laws" are, this could prevent alot of heart break , perhaps a LIFE .but its their choice. dont spend a few extra pesos ,it can or could cost them alot more in the long run, ( its not rocket science or nuclear physics ok :sign0095: ) ( :hystery: god bless the 1987 Constitution & the Family code :hystery:) :508: :508: late edit,,I do not mean to attack the 1987 Constitution nor the Family code,yet it seems to me , It has some serious flaws/problems that need to be fixed/resolved.

Edited by ed villas

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Another good reason to rent if living in Philippines. At all times keeping your wealth in your homeland with you being the only one with acess to it.

• Like 1