Barangay Help

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Taken from another topic, Ed asked a good question, so maybe others can chime in with the answers.

Can the "Barangay" help or assist us who are guests/residents here (but NOT full fledged citizens?)would it be in our best "interest" to obtain help or advice from them when we have a "problem" or situation? I strongly feel that this is an IMPORTANT issue that has not been addressed or posted on in thisforum,,thanks Ed ,
  • Like 1

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

I don't know what the situation is now or what it is in Cebu. But when I was living in AC back in the late 80's I had a situation come up where the base housing required an inspection of my house for me to have it as "approved housing". One of the things they wanted was the interior painted. I told the owner to just provide the paint and I would provide the painting, as I did not want strangers (workers) inside my house as I could not spend all my time watching them like a hawk in every room of the house. He argued, argued, would not give me the paint and I finely agreed for his workers to paint it but I very strongly told him if anything disappeared, he would be responsible. Well a fairly expensive camera (pentex k1000) grew legs and walked and I didn't catch it. The owner refused to deal with it. So I went to the barangay to deal with it. He called the owner of the property to his office with me there. I provided the story of what happened and my offers to paint the house to keep people out. The bottom line is that the owner kept saying he didn't have the money to pay for the camera, so a deal was worked out where the value was divided by 12 and I had that amount subtracted from my rent each month. Of course after the last short payment was made a year later, the Landlord give me notice to get out, said the house was being sold. A couple weeks after we moved out, I went by and saw the "For Rent" sign on the gate. I hated to move as I really liked the house but the problem was solved without any further incident and I got compensated for my camera.

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
I don't know what the situation is now or what it is in Cebu. But when I was living in AC back in the late 80's I had a situation come up where the base housing required an inspection of my house for me to have it as "approved housing". One of the things they wanted was the interior painted. I told the owner to just provide the paint and I would provide the painting, as I did not want strangers (workers) inside my house as I could not spend all my time watching them like a hawk in every room of the house. He argued, argued, would not give me the paint and I finely agreed for his workers to paint it but I very strongly told him if anything disappeared, he would be responsible. Well a fairly expensive camera (pentex k1000) grew legs and walked and I didn't catch it. The owner refused to deal with it. So I went to the barangay to deal with it. He called the owner of the property to his office with me there. I provided the story of what happened and my offers to paint the house to keep people out. The bottom line is that the owner kept saying he didn't have the money to pay for the camera, so a deal was worked out where the value was divided by 12 and I had that amount subtracted from my rent each month. Of course after the last short payment was made a year later, the Landlord give me notice to get out, said the house was being sold. A couple weeks after we moved out, I went by and saw the "For Rent" sign on the gate. I hated to move as I really liked the house but the problem was solved without any further incident and I got compensated for my camera.
It looks like payback for making him lose face.

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

Better for him to lose face than for me to lose camera!!!!!!! What really made me angry was the fact that I would have painted the house and not even charged him for the labor...Don't know why he was so determined for his people to paint it and not me.

sjp52
Posted
Posted
Better for him to lose face than for me to lose camera!!!!!!! What really made me angry was the fact that I would have painted the house and not even charged him for the labor...Don't know why he was so determined for his people to paint it and not me.
He needed a camera
  • Like 4

piglett
Posted
Posted
Taken from another topic, Ed asked a good question, so maybe others can chime in with the answers.
Can the "Barangay" help or assist us who are guests/residents here (but NOT full fledged citizens?)would it be in our best "interest" to obtain help or advice from them when we have a "problem" or situation? I strongly feel that this is an IMPORTANT issue that has not been addressed or posted on in thisforum,,thanks Ed ,
i would say they can & will help you. who here has read the book "culture shock"?in the PI they have different "kin groups"so due to the fact that i am married i now belong to my wife's kin groupplus i also belong to our wedding sponsors kin groups.that is how things are done in the PI.so if i had a problem with another kin group i would have to go see the barangay captinhe would listen to both sides & then do what he thought was rite to fix the problem. piglett