Staying Safer While In The Philippines

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Some members have brought this up, so I will post some of my suggestions. I will also state once again for the record that I do not feel the Philippines is any less safe than most other places on earth where there is poverty and drugs, it just appears that in a poor country, there is obviously more poverty, so possibly more desperation, so those who use their heads while traveling around should be totally safe. I have been going back and forth to the Philippines for over 17 years, I guess I have probably spent a total of maybe 4 to 5 years in the Philippines if all visits were added up, and I never felt unsafe, yet I had seen people sizing me or my wife up for a crime during some of those visits, and knowing what to do, and being aware kept us safe, so it is my hope that the same would apply to those of you who read this forum. I used to wear my gold and diamond wedding band that I wear daily in the US, now I wear a silver one when we are in the Philippines. My wife used to wear her gold and diamond wedding band and engagement ring that she wears daily in the US, but now she only wears her smaller tiny wedding band while we are in the Philippines and no engagement ring. I used to wear a nice watch that I would wear daily in the US, now I wear an older one that I would not be upset about losing. I used to carry hundreds of dollars on me in pesos and sometimes in dollars, now I carry only what would be needed for the day. My wife and I used to walk to around the cities of the Philippines at night and back from the malls at night, now we take more taxis. I used to have a fancy cell phone that I use daily in the US, now I try to have an average one and never pull it out while walking down dark streets at night or while on a jeepney. I used to walk into the money changer or bank and change a fairly large amount of cash, now we try to do it all at once and have the money changer come to our bank to make the exchange, and I have a deposit slip for the full amount sitting right on the desk of the bank, so even the person who brings the money knows I am not going to walk out with it, just in case he wishes to tip someone off. We use the ATM's for our daily needs, and never use the ones on the streets, only the ones in the malls or in banks that have private rooms. We have Philippine accounts with ATM cards, it makes a difference when someone knows or thinks you are a local verses a tourist. I pull the card out in plain view when going to the ATM's. Mindset. I never go right home or leave the malls after getting some money from my Philippine account ATM, we walk around and go eat or shop and make sure we are not followed before leaving. I know there are more things, and I refuse to stop enjoying my life, but now we just put more thought into what we are going to do before we do it, and we do the same while in the US but on a different level. Some may call some of the things I do paranoia, I call them survival and I have survived all my life on some of the toughest streets of the US, so I am not going to allow the Philippines to be any different except I refuse to show what some might call my wealth, whereas in the US I am far from wealthy and I am just lucky enough to have monthly pensions to pay our way, but I guess in the Philippines, I and other foreigners are considered rich, even if we are not in our home countries, and signs of normal life in the US such as those I mentioned above, would no doubt be considered signs of being rich in the Philippines. What if anything have you changed recently due to the perceived crime in the Philippines.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Yes, it is best to keep a low profile. I wear no jewelry and no watch. My basic Nokia phone, purchased for Php 1,275, includes a digital clock for time. No fancy clothes. Usually it is a collared shirt, jeans and sneakers. Money is divided into two pockets plus my wallet. This is a drop wallet with expired diver's license, expired credit cards, etc. Security guards who require an identity card to enter a village or building don't seem to notice the expiration date on the driver's license. The money in the pocket is tied with a rubber band with the small bills on the outside. There is also emergency money inside a zippered compartment in my belt. You can request and pay for a passport card when renewing an American passport. It is the size of a credit card with an embedded microchip and your picture. The main use is for Canadian and Mexican border crossing, but it is an official identity card accepted by US Embassies and Consulates. If my regular passport is stolen or misplaced, the passport card will help me when trying to obtain a new regular passport while overseas. Another safety item is carrying a shoulder bag made with a fabric that cannot be cut with a razor blade. You can also use it for defense if attacked by someone with a knife, although my preference is to run away. Another accessory is a flat panel that converts the bag into a bulletproof shield, but it adds to the weight. Instead, I carry in the bag a laptop that hopefully will stop a bullet. My wife also carries a small razor blade proof bag. There is a locking mechanism preventing a pickpocket from unzipping the bag and taking her wallet or cellular phone. JJR

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Once one has lived in the Philippines for a couple of years or more, it becomes second nature of all the things which have been considered as being paranoid! One's safety can never be taken for granted! Always be aware and observant of your surroundings no matter where one lives! All of your comments will be anyone's guide for longevity!

piglett
Posted
Posted

i carry a folding knife in my pocket, nothing big but big enough.i wear $8 walmart shorts & a cheep no name tshirt. i have seen people sizing me up & i just look at them & then go on my wayi guess none of them have wanted to try their luck any of you ever try "bandit adobo"??? :( :D :hystery: piglett

Panserhansen
Posted
Posted

I agree with everything Lee says. In addition: - I never bring any credit cards out, unless i have to do so to withdraw money. - Always ignore people who want contact on the street or malls. They are usually up to no good. - Never change money with anyone asking, it's a scam. - If you bring a bag and sit on a street cafe, even at Ayala - put the strap under a chair. If in a crowded area, wear the backpack on your stomach. - Always check well inside the taxi when you leave for any belongings. A phone or wallet can easily drop out. When you've been here a while, you will notice you do this automatically, so it's not a hassle anymore.