Walking More Dangerous Than Driving

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Motorcycles still most hazardous mode of travelMANILA, Philippines - More people in country have gotten injured while walking than driving a car and other 4-wheeled vehicles, according to the Department of Health (DOH). Riding motorcycles, meanwhile, remains as the most dangerous mode of travel in the country, the DOH said in its National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (NEISS) September 2011 report on the first quarter of the year. Explained in a simple way, pedestrians are likely to get injured than drivers and passengers of vehicles that figure in an accident, while those on motorcycles are likely to land in hospitals or worse, the morgue, if they suffer an accident. NEISS data shows that from January to March this year, 574 pedestrians were injured in transportation/vehicle-related accidents nationwide.Only 83 people onboard cars were injured during the same period, 10 were hurt while onboard buses, while 117 people got injured while they were inside jeepneys, trucks, and other vehicles. On the other hand, the total number of motorcycle-related injuries reached 1,841 during the period.A total of 257 people were also injured while travelling on tricycles

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I walk, (sometimes jog), a lot. I do so more than I use mechanical transportation of any kind. I see people of all ages 'living' on the side of the road. The common misconception is of children playing in the street but I see people walk out their front door and are immediately on the street so that IS their front yard. So these people get hit a lot. As to real walkers and joggers, it happens way too much because the traffic, especially the V Hires where I live, feel they have the right to use the street to the exclusion of pedestrians. It means you can walk facing traffic, on the shoulder and still have a vehicle come from behind, passing another vehicle so he is in the wrong lane, and have his mirror take your right arm off. Hasn't happened to me yet but many close calls. I only know of one foreigner who has been hit by a car while jogging. So far my luck has held.

Garpo
Posted
Posted

With the ratio of motorbikes to four wheel vehcles it would be expected to see a whole lot more people hurt on them. It is no secret that riding a motorbike can get you hurt or killed compared to other modes of transportation. But with the lake of sidewalks or clearly marked walkways I am also not suprised to see a large number of injuires to people with boots on the ground..........Maybe they should start having peds wear helmets. I still say that it is the crazy way that people drive their cars, trucks, jeeps, and buses that are what get people hurt.

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Also remember not to walk with the western attitude of pedestrians having the right of way. Here in the RP, pedestrians do not have the right of way and can get hit. There was a case back about 3 years ago here in Bacolod (Tried to find it online) that a car hit a pedestrian with his mirror. The driver sued the pedestrian for the mirror damage. Don't know the outcome if at all. Just be careful out there. Every time you walk you take your life in your hands.

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

Many times on my 90 mins morning walk along SRP the thought has crossed my mind. Speeding vehicles, many unroadworthy could hit you anytime. Not to mention the folks on scooters on the footpath careering up behind you and honking to pass. Geez...there's a road there...back off!