So You Arrived And Your Computer Broke

Norseman
Posted
Posted

This can be a nightmare for the average user. Your shiny new computer broke and what should you do. Strange place, strange environment. So what should you do? Finding a quality person to repair it can be difficult at best. Finding a person that will not charge you more then the going rate can be difficult. The other issue is warranty work and how to get that done here. Here in Cebu this is where I head to get quality repair. Others can speak of other locations in the Philippines. First a reliable place to take your computer or laptop. I have a couple of places I like that tend not to break the bank and do good work. One is in Emall and the other is in SM. In Emall I like Techshop Computer Sales and repair. The service is quick and the staff is very knowledgeable. The price is good and quality is good. In Sm Nutech is a very good. Though it is SM so prices are more however the staff is knowledgable and prices are fair and reasonable. Warranty work can be spotty here. HPS in Manudaue services Apple HP and IBM (leaveno) they do good work. Thinking tools does good work for ASUS however your computer must go to Manila to be serviced. Other brands have not been as successful in getting repaired. Lastly what to do if that computer just does the I am not going to work again mode. Where to purchase? Well for me computers fall in value faster then cars. So I tend to purchase second hand computers that meet my basic needs. The computers you buy for 12,400 pesos can be had second hand for half the price. Here is an example of a very nice second hand computer from Open Pinoy. http://www.openpinoy.com/shop/step1.php?number=3382 That computer compared to an MSI Wind is similar in all aspects yet 1/2 the price. Additionally it has a 6 month warranty. I am not associated with that company in any way. I however have bought hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of computers from them. They will ship to any location in the Philippines. Hope that gives you some ideas. Enjoy.

• Like 1

slim
Posted
Posted

Hi Tim glad your here now as this forum probably needs a good computer guy too , so welcome to the forum and i'll keep reading your posts and learning more about computers. Thanks

• Like 2

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Here is an example of a very nice second hand computer from Open Pinoy.http://www.openpinoy...php?number=3382 That computer compared to an MSI Wind is similar in all aspects yet 1/2 the price. Additionally it has a 6 month warranty. I am not associated with that company in any way. I however have bought hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of computers from them. They will ship to any location in the Philippines. Hope that gives you some ideas. Enjoy.
When I clicked on the link it showed a Fujitsu Lifebook S6240 Fujitsu Lifebook S624013.3-inch XGA PanelIntel Pentium M 740 1.73GHz512MB DDR280GB HDDIntel GMA 900 128MB Shared Memory VideoDVD-ROM Priced at P6,021. Not a bad deal considering they were $1,500 USD new. Funny that I have one of these and recently retired it. The power plug on these are a weak link. I ended up soldering wires directly to the power board due to the inner's of the plug breaking. That model is coming on 7+ years old now. Main thing I would watch out for there is pirated software. Seems one of the most common fixes is "Format and Reinstall" of the operating system. Most new PC's do not even come with recovery media anymore. So this also puts you at the mercy of the repair tech. Seems every time the wife and I visit, I end up looking at all sorts of pc and laptops needing something done. Most is malware removal. Regular backups are a lifesaver. They are usually not on peoples minds until a catastrophe happens. I agree with you Norsman, finding a good tech is difficult. Then you have to find the good honest tech to. Amazing how when a foreigner shows up, the price can mystically change. Especially on the labor end.

intrepid
Posted
Posted

This is great information and I will keep it handy in my laptop case when traveling to Cebu. I am currently looking to purchase a new computer in Cebu for my niece. She is attending college in San Carlos City and will be traveling to Cebu at the end of October to purchase a new laptop. I would agree that a good used laptop is a big savings and would of course prefer to go that route. However, since they live a days travel from Cebu, the used warranty would not be much of a benefit for her. I left a laptop there for them to use a few years back and it was hard for them to locate a qualified service tech. She has two more years of college and I'm sure with a new computer, it should get her through school. So, where would you recommend she shop for a new laptop? thanks,danny

Norseman
Posted
Posted
live a days travel from Cebu, the used warranty would not be much of a benefit for her. I left a laptop there for them to use a few years back and it was hard for them to locate a qualified service tech. She has two more years of college and I'm sure with a new computer, it should get her through school.
The company I recommended uses LBC, 2go, Fedex and DHL to ship computers. A laptop to ship is 400 pesos to Manila. If it is within two weeks they will pay it. Outside two weeks you absorb the cost to send and if broken they will absorb the cost to return. Also they will repair and another computer you have. That is if you wish to go that route.