Secret To Living Well On $20,000 A Yr In The Us

Travis
Posted
Posted

I came across this artical & thought I would share it with you all coz I live for even less right here in the US soooo unless they get the exchange rates under control & lower the cost of living there in the Phils for me it is less expensive to live herehttp://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/finance/article-113623-11237-3-the-secret-to-living-well-on-20000-a-year?hp=true?ywaad=ad0035&nc Joseph Fonseca, a writer currently living in Seattle who supports himself on $20,000 a year. Fonseca, 28, authored a first-person piece in the Washington Post over the weekend describing his "10 cities, 10 years" project, in which he moves every year and starts over in a new town. An aspiring novelist, he plans to eventually write a book about his quest. We spoke with him by phone to get more details about just how he makes ends meet. Excerpts:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I came across this artical & thought I would share it with you all coz I live for even less right here in the US soooo unless they get the exchange rates under control & lower the cost of living there in the Phils for me it is less expensive to live herehttp://financiallyfi...ywaad=ad0035 Joseph Fonseca, a writer currently living in Seattle who supports himself on $20,000 a year. Fonseca, 28, authored a first-person piece in the Washington Post over the weekend describing his "10 cities, 10 years" project, in which he moves every year and starts over in a new town. An aspiring novelist, he plans to eventually write a book about his quest. We spoke with him by phone to get more details about just how he makes ends meet. Excerpts:
Interesting, so he buys his cloths used at thrift stores, not a bad idea.The food he eats does not sound like I could manage on but I could live on rice and spaghetti if I really need to.No car, so one would have to live close to things, like in a city.No health insurance, I guess that is OK for a young guy but I would not do without health insurance.So if he did not move every year then he could live on $3000 less, or keep that for savings.All in all it sounds like a dull life to me.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Living well in the U.S. on $20,000 a year? It sounds like barely living and just surviving, but it's better than being homeless and starving to death!

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 3

softail
Posted
Posted

I wonder if he is going to still feel the same way when he is in his 50’s or 60’s and he sees his old friends enjoying a nice lifestyle in there retirement and he is still eating top roman ,dressing in someone else’s used clothing and living in some flea bag apartment? Doug

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

We live outside Seattle things are not cheap here. I agree with you Art, I want to live life.

Travis
Posted
Posted
Living well in the U.S. on $20,000 a year? It sounds like barely living and just surviving, but it's better than being homeless and starving to death!
I am living a lot better in the US on a lot less then that & doing a lot better then I did in Cebu on $12000

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I am living a lot better in the US on a lot less then that & doing a lot better then I did in Cebu on $12000
As everyone knows that the location of where one lives will always make a big difference in one's monthy expenses and depending how many that are in one's family and the lifestyle one is accustomed to! So, it's all relative due the variance and lifestyle, but it's good to know what the costs are depending on where one lives weather it be in Cebu, Luzon, California, Canada, Arkansas, Florida, Seattle and etc! Keep sending those quotes on how much it costs to live in one's location or country, we all like to know those kinds of helpful information!

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

$20,000 is our annual budget in the Philippines, and we're living pretty good and not just surviving! Appears to be relative now a days U.S. vs RP living, but it's a slightly better lifestyle here in the Philippines IMHO!

piglett
Posted
Posted
$20,000 is our annual budget in the Philippines, and we're living pretty good and not just surviving! Appears to be relative now a days U.S. vs RP living, but it's a slightly better lifestyle here in the Philippines IMHO!
do you want to live in NYC ....if so it will cost youi would say the same for Manila or Cebumy house payment here in the US (out in the country) is less than $450 a monthso i can & have lived on 20k a yearmy wife in Manila lives on about $300 a month which is more than she ever made as a nurse there piglett