This Is Scary, Citizens Can Own As Many Assault Rifles As They Want

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

:wt-hell: Shocking when we as foreigners are more or less not allowed to own any. So does this make anyone feel warm and fuzzy? What this means is that burglars can easily get their hands on many weapons, if owners do not keep them locked up in quality safes. :o So unless they have a different designation for it in the Philippines, a M-16 is a fully automatic machine gun, so civilians can own as many machine guns as they wish. :o Erap EO lifted limits on gun ownership, says PNP official MANILA, Philippines - Civilians can own as many high-powered assault rifles as they want, a Philippine National Police (PNP) official said Monday.The only hitch? People may be allowed to carry only one gun in public, said Chief Superintendent Napoleon Estilles, chief of the PNP Firearms and Explosives Division. No limit on assault weaponsEstilles said no limit is also placed on the number of licensed AK-47s or M-16s that a civilian can own. "Wala rin pong limit sa high-powered (assault rifles kung ilan)."

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

perhaps Travis knew something we didnt till know.??

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

In some areas of the Philippines I can understand why someone might need a M16 but for the average citizen what is the point? Good for when you go nuts and hold hostages on a bus or get drunk and sort the neighbor out but other than that?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

My issue is not so much with the fact that people can own them, my issue is that there does not seem to be a law that I can find that makes it mandatory to keep such weapons locked up so that burglars do not get access to them. Also since drinking seems to be a favorite past time of many, guns and alcohol do not mix, so machine guns and alcohol multiplies that one hundred fold. Also I see no reason for the average citizen to own a machine gun period. Now having said that, I used to own 5 machine guns and had many friends in the US who own, or owned machine guns, and I believe the official number is that less than .001% has ever been used in a crime, and the ones that have, were not used by the owners in a crime (they were stolen), because most people in the US who had them, usually lock up their machine guns in high security safes, I do not see that happening in the Philippines for the most part.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

This news article was publish after two body guards employed by Llamas were caught with illegal possessionof more than one assault rifle: The PNP Firearms and Explosives Division chief issued the statements after guns were found in the possession of 2 employees of Presidential Political Adviser Ronaldo Llamas. Estilles said Llamas has a license and a permit to carry for the AK-47 found inside his sports utility vehicle (SUV) that figured in an accident Friday. He explained that the only problem was that Llamas was not the one carrying the weapon. Now that the chief of PNP Firearms and Explosives Division declared any ordinary citizen can purchase manyassault rifles for home use but can only carry one concealed off personal property, my immediate thoughtsgoes back to those popular Filipino B movies. Remember those? The hero goes out blazing with his Armalite with a million round magazine capacity, rescuing the damsel indistress. For a long time, this movie culture promoted false manhood, with men fantasizing who's got thebiggest penis-barrel. There goes the neighborhood....... Jake

Edited by Jake
sentence structure

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
my immediate thoughts goes back to those popular Filipino B movies. Remember those? The hero goes out blazing with his Armalite with a million round magazine capacity, rescuing the damsel indistress. For a long time, this movie culture promoted false manhood, with men fantasizing who's got thebiggest penis-barrel. There goes the neighborhood....... Jake
Those movies has always made me wonder if any place in the Philippines could be that crazy. I once even asked my wife why does she think they make movies like that, and she had no answer. I feel those types of movies promote violence and make foolish people wish to own guns like those, and quite possibly use them as they were used in the movies. It is fact that when movies in the US promote a particular type of gun such as a glock, remember Mel Gibson say the porcelain gun in one of them, well people were asking for porcelain guns for years after that and glock sales went through the roof right after the movies release.

piglett
Posted
Posted

are they talking about full auto or semi ?big difference piglett

Jake
Posted
Posted
are they talking about full auto or semi ?big difference piglett
Good question Piglett but like anything else in PI, one can easily modify the firing mechanism to fire full auto. One thing for sure is that the PNP department selling hardware and licenseswould make a killing. Hell, they may even throw in a million round magazine for a discount! Jake

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

What a bunch of DUMBASSES. now that they can legally own registered assault rifles of unlimited quantitys, all the government has to do is follow the paper trail, i dont think that the criminals or the MILF. fighters will be rushing to regester their assault rifles. i thank my parents for building a bulletproof house. cuz its gonna take more than that to get in my house.1%20(72).gif tanks ej.