International Driver's License

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Prior to visiting the Philippines, I decided to get an International Driver's License through the local AAA (American Automobile Association) office. A website mentioned this document is a requirement to rent a car. No Philippine car rental company was willing to rent one unless a driver was included as part of the package. I guess they are afraid I would steal their vehicle or get into an accident by not knowing the local rules of the road. For a future Philippine trip early next year, does anyone know a company where I can rent a self-drive car in Manila and in Cebu? JJR

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)
Prior to visiting the Philippines, I decided to get an International Driver's License through the local AAA (American Automobile Association) office. A website mentioned this document is a requirement to rent a car. No Philippine car rental company was willing to rent one unless a driver was included as part of the package. I guess they are afraid I would steal their vehicle or get into an accident by not knowing the local rules of the road. For a future Philippine trip early next year, does anyone know a company where I can rent a self-drive car in Manila and in Cebu? JJR
Sorry, not off hand in those areas but I do here in Bacolod. As for the IDP, those are not required here except for those licenses that are not in English. It is only a supplement to your current license and not an actual license to drive and you can be arrested and jailed if caught without an actual valid license. Your (unexpired) US license is good here for 90 days. After that, you will need to obtain an RP license which is fairly painless. Hope this helps you. Edited by Steve & Myrlita

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Hi Steve & Mrylita, Thanks. The information is very helpful. JJR

piglett
Posted
Posted
it will be cheeper to hire a car for the day or week with a driver than you doing the driving.if the driver hits someone just get out pay him & start walkingif you are driving you WILL be at fault because you are not from the PIsave yourself a bunch of trouble & don't drive unless it's only in the province good luckpiglett
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have seen car rentals in Cebu, but now that you mention it I bet they all require a Philippines drivers license. I am vaguely remembering someone tell me its because their insurance will not pay out if there is damage and you do not have a Philippine license. Whether I am remembering correctly or not, the fact is that I try to drive as little as possible in Cebu City proper, at least from 7 am to 7 pm weekdays, because the traffic is just too frustrating. I have been known to drive to the mall, (SM for example), park there for the day and let taxis take me where I need to go. Less stress. If I really wanted to drive myself I would rent a motorcycle from the Ancient One who has a business which does just that. Much cheaper than a car and you can drive on the sidewalks. .. well the locals do.