Thailand Floods 2011: Water Swamps Two-Thirds Of Country

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

:kidding: Wow! This sounds terrible. AYUTTHAYA, Thailand — The lucky ones traverse this flood-submerged Thai city in navy boats and motorized canoes. The rest float on whatever they can find – inner tubes, swan-shaped pedal boats, even huge chunks of muddied white plastic foam.With large sections of Ayutthaya buried under a sea of one-story high water, rescue workers and volunteers are still crisscrossing town to pluck stranded residents from waterlogged ruins. Others are staying to protect what's left. One boy donned a snorkeling mask to inspect his house, its corrugated roof faintly visible below the murky brown waves. More HERE

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

is it wrong of me to think, "Well, at least it wasn't the Philippines for once."

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
is it wrong of me to think, "Well, at least it wasn't the Philippines for once."
I don't know but I keep waiting for the other shoe to fall and hope it does not happen. Every time I fly over Mactan Cebu and see how wet it usually is, I keep hoping it will never happen there, because that might devastate Cebu, since the airport is on Mactan. :kidding: Not even to mention how many lives might be lost. :(

• 2 weeks later...
CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

I'ts really terrible here. TV shows day and night increased flooded areas 1 meter (3 feet) or more.The big shopping malls all over the country are out of water and many other essentials. People have stocked up for a month, and empty shelves everywhere. Families with small children can't find milk for their kids. * Factories are flooded, and millions are sent home.* Government here just declined help from US military who never received a formal request from the Thai government and the three-ship aircraft carrier group left the area on friday.* Prediction says flooding expected to last 4-6 weeks more. Peak 28-31 October for Bangkok flooding.* Crocodile warning for north Bangkok area.* Government admit flood crisis out of control.* UN blames Thai Government for poor flood management.* Millions have lost their home, and 300 people have died.

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

* Flood relief operation center warn people in 9 districts in Bangkok.* Thailand declares 3 days Holiday to cope with flood crisis.* Bangkok's 2nd airport Don Muang closed, as flood reach runways.* Tesco Lotus closing some stores due to product shortage.* 7-Eleven close many shops country wide, due to product shortage.* More than 360 people reported dead.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
* Flood relief operation center warn people in 9 districts in Bangkok.* Thailand declares 3 days Holiday to cope with flood crisis.* Bangkok's 2nd airport Don Muang closed, as flood reach runways.* Tesco Lotus closing some stores due to product shortage.* 7-Eleven close many shops country wide, due to product shortage.* More than 360 people reported dead.
Looks like nothing has got any better by the news I seen tonight.Waist deep water everywhere.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

What is happening in Thailand should be a lesson to us all, disaster could happen anywhere, so being prepared is the best we can do for ourselves and out family. Stock up. 'Too much water': Bangkok floods spread through city Bangkok residents scrambled to stock up on food, but bottled water was nowhere to be seen and some shops restricted customers to small quantities of food to prevent hoarding.