Rabies

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

A couple of days ago my wife and a couple of kids were attacked by a dog in the Province of Zamboanga. My wife was bitten on the feet and not sure about the kids. Anyway possible good advice for those visiting or living in the Philippines is to have a rabies shot as rabies is still active. I have no idea how long a shot last or if need be to boost them every so often but something to think about. :9436:

Jake
Posted
Posted
A couple of days ago my wife and a couple of kids were attacked by a dog in the Province of Zamboanga. My wife was bitten on the feet and not sure about the kids. Anyway possible good advice for those visiting or living in the Philippines is to have a rabies shot as rabies is still active. I have no idea how long a shot last or if need be to boost them every so often but something to think about. :9436:
Hey Boss Man, We hope that your wife and family are OK. No matter what area of the Philippines, pack of dogsprotecting their own territory are a common sight. Plus you have to run a gauntlet of dog chit, youcan never walk a straight line. My wife Judy when she was very young was nearly "gang banged"by a group of dogs. Next time, I'm bringing back a nice beefy walking stick plus a can of pepperspray for both the two and four leg animals. We are praying for your wife's quick recovery -- Jake

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I hope Ann will be OK, please make sure to get her the necessary shots if the dog that bit her cannot be found and tested. Jake's idea of carrying a stick is a good one but it would probably do little good if a pack attacked, that is when you need a 1%20(72).gif :lol: Luckily we have not run into packs in the city but you all out in the provinces please be careful. Rabid dogs are a real problem in the Philippines, years ago in Cebu we had one try to take on the VHire we were in,that was right after it chased a guy on a motorcycle driver who sped up and put his legs up to avoid being bit. The dog then turned on us with foam running out of its mouth and an insane look in its eyes and ran towards us as we headed towards it, so our driver just speed up and ran him down and did everyone a favor. I just hope he did not end up as road kill dinner for anyone because it is my understanding that rabies can be transferred that way as well. :(

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

A friend of ours has a 18 month old baby boy bitten by a kitten, he had to under go anti-rabies injections for 6 months, at P1,200 per injection each month! Rabies Vaccine Info:http://lyfvaccines.c...nes/rabies.html REPUBLIC ACT NO. 9482May 25, 2007 AN ACT PROVIDING FOR THE CONTROL AND ELIMINATION OF HUMAN AND ANIMAL RABIES, PRESCRIBING PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION http://www.chanrobles.com/republicacts/republicactno9482.html

Edited by Art2ro

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
A friend of ours has a 18 month old baby boy bitten by a kitten, he had to under go anti-rabies injections for 6 months, at P1,200 per injection each month! Rabies Vaccine Info:http://lyfvaccines.c...nes/rabies.html REPUBLIC ACT NO. 9482May 25, 2007 AN ACT PROVIDING FOR THE CONTROL AND ELIMINATION OF HUMAN AND ANIMAL RABIES, PRESCRIBING PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION http://www.chanroble...cactno9482.html
The best thing to do if bitten is to kill the animal and bring them to the clinic for their brain to be tested. Better they suffer than we do.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
A couple of days ago my wife and a couple of kids were attacked by a dog in the Province of Zamboanga. My wife was bitten on the feet and not sure about the kids. Anyway possible good advice for those visiting or living in the Philippines is to have a rabies shot as rabies is still active. I have no idea how long a shot last or if need be to boost them every so often but something to think about. :lol:
I hope Ann will be OK, please make sure to get her the necessary shots if the dog that bit her cannot be found and tested.
She. Ann traveled to Sicion today to see a doc, he never showed so I sent western union as there are no banks there in case she needs to travel to the city of Zamboanga. Western union did not have the 2000 peso to give her so she went back to her parents and will go back today to collect money and see doc if he shows up. She says she is not feeling well but that might not be related to the dog bite.I do remember she was frothing at the mouth when you kept me out late at the bar once so it might be hard to tell if she has rabies. :( Seriously I think she is OK :9436:

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

here is a link to the DOH website regarding rabies,http://www.doh.gov.ph/taxonomy/term/534.htmlhttp://www.doh.gov.ph/faq/show/451.html#q_1358 *wound care info*. if you should be bitten by any animal(husband/wife,boyfriend/girlfriend not applicable in this situation)1st , IS CLEAN THE WOUND WITH WATER & BENEIDINE(not correctly spelled) if thats not available, soap,water, lightly bandage the wound,try to recover the "animal" if possible. 2, the local (yes the local government)hospital can offer a advice on which "private" clinic you may want to attend. As ART said the "shots" do cost at least 1200 if not more, Most MERCURY DRUG stores will have this in stock,but always see what the doctor will requiremy experience was in a 30 day period i had 4 or 5 shots.again this has been a few years since i have had the need to have the shots,GOOD NEWS IS, after having the series, in case of "rebite" or possible rabies bite a second time, only booster shots are required .THIS MAY BE OFF TOPIC, BUT BE PREPARED for any and all situations, BEING PREVENTIVE IS THE BEST course for your safety and the safety of your families.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I hope Ann will be OK, please make sure to get her the necessary shots if the dog that bit her cannot be found and tested.
She. Ann traveled to Sicion today to see a doc, he never showed so I sent western union as there are no banks there in case she needs to travel to the city of Zamboanga. Western union did not have the 2000 peso to give her so she went back to her parents and will go back today to collect money and see doc if he shows up. She says she is not feeling well but that might not be related to the dog bite.I do remember she was frothing at the mouth when you kept me out late at the bar once so it might be hard to tell if she has rabies. :) Seriously I think she is OK :(
UpdateAnn has seen a doc and had the first shot for rabies,2 to go I believe at P1500 a shot. I am guessing the shots are preventive measures as contact with Ann is difficult where she is.All good.