Visited Pi Loved It And Thinking About Moving

Jimbo1361
Posted
Posted

Well I made my trip there and back safely except for a very bad case of pink eye. I got there on the 24th of September and Had a blast. I came to look around but I had to cut my visit short. I had a family emergency with my Mother going in for Double heart Bypass so instead of two weeks I got 7 days. I flew out a day ahead of Perdig and was glad about that. The money I saved here is what convinced me. I had 2 digital X-rays 2 MRI 1 on each knee and 2 visits with an orthopedic Veterans affairs Doctor for half of my airfare cost. I was happy with what I had to pay for stuff like food rent for houses is where you want to be. In a subdivison or out in the Provience. The cost around $500 for rent on average and $300 US I have stoped converting PHP as my money it took me a week. I was in A/C nut I plan on getting out to different areas you cannot judge an entire country based on what you see in A/C. I am moving with my son so I have to base my housing not on what I like but just like here in US. You have to know what you want hospitals shopping Groceries kids enviroment and safety. I did check out some schools but I probally will homeschool him myself when we do move. I may be odd but I did not have anyone to panhandle with me exxcept a few drunks I carried around a bag of sweet rolls when the older guys would rub their stomach I would offer them no money just the rolls. Everytime they would wave me off the kids of course would take the rolls everytime and it did not cost me much I did it everyday. I will say it has changed since I was there in 1986 and I am older I am not able to drink for medical reasons so I was not out all hours of the night. It is just like any other foreign country mind your bussiness watch your back as I do here and always never flash big wads of cash. Overall I needed more time so I am not writing off PI just the no land ownership unless married to a national is a big downer. I did not get to talk with anyone who came in on the investor visa program so the ownership of land is stil an option but I still have to hear what works for others. I was glad to get the last flight out ahead of Perdig and the Pink Eye strain I caught was terrible I had to see an Eye Doctor to have the membrames removed off my outer eye. They had not seen a more severe infection that I had. I was trying to treat it with some meds I had at home but it went into overdrive over night so I am praying my vision will get better with time. I am still on eye drops 4 times a day. Please frequent hand washing and for the sake of your vision I would hope you guys that live there do not run into the strain I ran into. I would think you would need a decent retirement to live there depending on what you need to live. I am not in anyway knocking those that have a family network or married to a National as I was there alone. Have a good day

• Like 2

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Interesting post! I can't think of a single time that I have gone out of the house and been in public that I was not approached by a begger or two, especially if spendt any time at all in the area of Manila which I found to be the worse by far. You can however avoid them if you have your own vehicle and stay away from public markets, Never had a problem at any of the malls either. Making a test trip and doing as much research as you can will certainly pay off for you in the long run. There is a whole lot of good information available here on this forum.

softail
Posted
Posted

On my first trip to the RP I got a pretty bad case of the pink eye as well, the lady I was with took me to the pharmacy and knew just what drops to ask for, cleared it up in a couple of days. I've been a fan of hand washing every since. Nice post. Doug

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted
Well I made my trip there and back safely except for a very bad case of pink eye. I got there on the 24th of September and Had a blast. I came to look around but I had to cut my visit short. I had a family emergency with my Mother going in for Double heart Bypass so instead of two weeks I got 7 days. I flew out a day ahead of Perdig and was glad about that. The money I saved here is what convinced me. I had 2 digital X-rays 2 MRI 1 on each knee and 2 visits with an orthopedic Veterans affairs Doctor for half of my airfare cost. I was happy with what I had to pay for stuff like food rent for houses is where you want to be. In a subdivison or out in the Provience. The cost around $500 for rent on average and $300 US I have stoped converting PHP as my money it took me a week. I was in A/C nut I plan on getting out to different areas you cannot judge an entire country based on what you see in A/C. I am moving with my son so I have to base my housing not on what I like but just like here in US. You have to know what you want hospitals shopping Groceries kids enviroment and safety. I did check out some schools but I probally will homeschool him myself when we do move. I may be odd but I did not have anyone to panhandle with me exxcept a few drunks I carried around a bag of sweet rolls when the older guys would rub their stomach I would offer them no money just the rolls. Everytime they would wave me off the kids of course would take the rolls everytime and it did not cost me much I did it everyday. I will say it has changed since I was there in 1986 and I am older I am not able to drink for medical reasons so I was not out all hours of the night. It is just like any other foreign country mind your bussiness watch your back as I do here and always never flash big wads of cash. Overall I needed more time so I am not writing off PI just the no land ownership unless married to a national is a big downer. I did not get to talk with anyone who came in on the investor visa program so the ownership of land is stil an option but I still have to hear what works for others. I was glad to get the last flight out ahead of Perdig and the Pink Eye strain I caught was terrible I had to see an Eye Doctor to have the membrames removed off my outer eye. They had not seen a more severe infection that I had. I was trying to treat it with some meds I had at home but it went into overdrive over night so I am praying my vision will get better with time. I am still on eye drops 4 times a day. Please frequent hand washing and for the sake of your vision I would hope you guys that live there do not run into the strain I ran into. I would think you would need a decent retirement to live there depending on what you need to live. I am not in anyway knocking those that have a family network or married to a National as I was there alone. Have a good day
Jimbo, welcome. You might want to try Quezon city in Manila for proper living as i understand you want it. With 500$/month you can find a nice house and all kinds of good schools, groceries, malls, entertainement, hospitals etc etc is just a small drive away. Any info you might want about Manila area, i am more than glad to provide you.

the dude
Posted
Posted

Hi. I also ended up with pink eye. It lasted for close to a month even with the eye drop. I was tearing up . I've seen seniors who have uncontrollable tears. I feel for them. My doc was telling me that since I'm on colchine for gout might had something to do with it. Lowers immune system. good luck Redhorse-the Dude