Police Agencies Seek Right To Jam Cell Signals

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

The end of freedom is knocking on our door worldwide. IMO it is just a matter or time before things like this are used to keep the public in the dark about what is going on around them. Anyone else have an ideas on this type of BS? Police agencies seek right to jam cell signalsWireless industry worries about expansion of technology's use, and they should be IMOhttp://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28956016/

Edited by Mr. Lee

TheMason
Posted
Posted
The end of freedom is knocking on our door worldwide. IMO it is just a matter or time before things like this are used to keep the public in the dark about what is going on around them. Anyone else have an ideas on this type of BS? Police agencies seek right to jam cell signalsWireless industry worries about expansion of technology's use, and they should be IMOhttp://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28956016/
I'm pretty much an anti-cell phone person so wouldn't really have a problem with cell phones being banned all together. Aside from the question of govt. doing this, which will turn political very quickly, I'll stick to the private sector.What I'd really like to see is the ability for private businesses and citizens to to jam signals on their property. If I knew of a movie theater that jammed cell phones in the theater, I would go there every time. If I don't want cellphones to function within my home, why can't I jam the signals? I'd also like to see cellphone free zones on trains and other public transport.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I'm pretty much an anti-cell phone person so wouldn't really have a problem with cell phones being banned all together. Aside from the question of govt. doing this, which will turn political very quickly, I'll stick to the private sector.What I'd really like to see is the ability for private businesses and citizens to to jam signals on their property. If I knew of a movie theater that jammed cell phones in the theater, I would go there every time. If I don't want cellphones to function within my home, why can't I jam the signals? I'd also like to see cellphone free zones on trains and other public transport.
The issue that upsets me, is that those jamming machines can jam out everything, TV, radios, cell phones, two way radios and who knows what else, if the people who use them want to. In other words, they can cut off all information into and out of an area if they want to and while I know we can live without cell phones, would we want to allow our govt to shut us off whenever they do not want us to hear something. I also think the issue you are relating to is more about manners and how people use their phones than the phones themselves. There are many people in important positions that need to be able to be reached all the time for many reasons and they cannot expect to have their life stopped because of those issues, but they should turn their phones to silent or vibrate when in a movie or public place and they should get up and walk out to answer a call. I like your idea of a section of trains and maybe all public places that should be set aside for none cell phone use but shutting all phones off would be wrong IMO. BTW, I shut my phone off when in movies and people receiving text messages or talking on the phone while in the movies really pisses me off.