Seat Belts In Cebu - A Bit More Strict These Days

paul
Posted
Posted

Notice to other drivers in Cebu City. CITOM is stopping drivers, regularly, in Cebu City now. They are checking to see if the driver and front seat passenger are wearing seat belts.I am beginning to lose count of the number of times I have been stopped at these check points. I would say it has been about six (6) times, now. Only once, out of all the times I have been stopped, have they tried to extort money from me.Be warned.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Notice to other drivers in Cebu City. CITOM is stopping drivers, regularly, in Cebu City now. They are checking to see if the driver and front seat passenger are wearing seat belts.I am beginning to lose count of the number of times I have been stopped at these check points. I would say it has been about six (6) times, now. Only once, out of all the times I have been stopped, have they tried to extort money from me.Be warned.
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly are Citom,are they police? or some sort of traffic enforcement.And what does C-i-t-o-m stand for? :thumbsup:

paul
Posted
Posted (edited)
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly are Citom,are they police? or some sort of traffic enforcement.And what does C-i-t-o-m stand for? :thumbsup:
Hi Tom,CITOM = City Traffic Operations ManagementThe CTIOM officers are traffic-specific police. Often, people confuse them with the PNP (Philippines National Police).Both may set up road blocks throughout the city. (PNP may set up road blocks throughout the province too, though.) However, the police road blocks are set up to find, usually anyway, stolen vehicles or persons of interest in an ongoing case.When CITOM sets up a road block, it is for the specific purpose of stopping (hardened criminal) traffic offenders (like me), who may have an invalid or expired drivers license, invalid or expired CR (Certificate of Registration) or OR (Original Receipt), or perhaps a tag lamp out. (yes, I was charged for a tag lamp that was broken, once. Go figure! Look at all the drivers here who drive with no headlights on at night!) Incidentally, when you are stopped by CITOM, do make sure that you have a current (and valid) photo copy of your CR and OR in the glove box of your car, or perhaps in your wallet. NOTE: Never keep the original CR or OR in your vehicle. Always make sure it is a photocopy. (Keep the original copies at home, or in another very safe place where you may be able to get to them, as needed.) Having these two documents replaced, due to them being lost or stolen, is a major pain in the arse. Edited by Paul

Mik
Posted
Posted

When there are too many laws then everyone becomes a lawbreaker. Too many laws give the police unlimited opportunity to arrest or extort people who are not criminals."I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison

Markham
Posted
Posted
Notice to other drivers in Cebu City. CITOM is stopping drivers, regularly, in Cebu City now. They are checking to see if the driver and front seat passenger are wearing seat belts.
At the risk of sounding controversial, I'd like to see a law requiring all passengers wear a seat belt and, in particular, children. In a head-on crash, unrestrained back seat passengers can - and often will - be thrown forward and cause injuries not only to themselves but also those in the front.Mark

Markham
Posted
Posted
perhaps a tag lamp out. (yes, I was charged for a tag lamp that was broken, once. Go figure! Look at all the drivers here who drive with no headlights on at night!)
Have you noticed that CITOM only stop private cars for such violations? And I wonder why that is, when jeepneys and tricycles are the major offenders - as if you didn't know!Not so long ago, I was involved in a very minor "accident" in SM's carpark. No damage to my vehicle and only a teeny amount of paint rub on the other vehicle - a taxi. CITOM arrived within seconds and immediately decided I was the guilty party even though the taxi driver admitted he made a mistake and made me pay for the damage. To add insult to injury, CITOM then fined me 500 pesos for causing an obstruction!Mark

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

The only road blocks I've seen recently are for motorbikes - either no helmit or papers.I've even chatted to Citom guys without wearing a seat belt. Perhaps it's in a particular area of the City.