3 Nights In Dumaguete. A Good Time.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I just returned from a 3 night (4 day) visit to Dumaguete. I think I can sum it up by saying its a great place to visit and there are many expats who choose to live there. I enjoyed to mild ocean breeze as I walked along the promenade. Many locals and foreigners congregate there in a holiday atmosphere. Dining, dancing and drinking are popular festivities in the many foreign and pinoy owned establishments. Shopping is great, almost all your daily needs can be found in the downtown core. Foreigners are overly abundant. So much so that the local girls look away quickly if you smile at them, perhaps they fear another DOM attack as I am sure that happens frequently. Other than that, this is a college town with a holiday atmosphere. I have expat friends there which made my visit quite enjoyable. If you do not know anyone there, then your mileage may vary. I like to casually flirt a little and did not get anywhere near the responses I get from girls on the islands of Cebu or Leyte. Although there are a lot of exats there, many of them are already in their own little cliques and one could easily get the idea they think there are enough westerners there now and they do not want to encourage more to come. Just one man's opinions and observations. What do others think of it?

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
I just returned from a 3 night (4 day) visit to Dumaguete. I think I can sum it up by saying its a great place to visit and there are many expats who choose to live there. I enjoyed to mild ocean breeze as I walked along the promenade. Many locals and foreigners congregate there in a holiday atmosphere. Dining, dancing and drinking are popular festivities in the many foreign and pinoy owned establishments. Shopping is great, almost all your daily needs can be found in the downtown core. Foreigners are overly abundant. So much so that the local girls look away quickly if you smile at them, perhaps they fear another DOM attack as I am sure that happens frequently. Other than that, this is a college town with a holiday atmosphere. I have expat friends there which made my visit quite enjoyable. If you do not know anyone there, then your mileage may vary. I like to casually flirt a little and did not get anywhere near the responses I get from girls on the islands of Cebu or Leyte. Although there are a lot of exats there, many of them are already in their own little cliques and one could easily get the idea they think there are enough westerners there now and they do not want to encourage more to come. Just one man's opinions and observations. What do others think of it?
This is why the Philippines Expat Forum (PEF) is the only one I care to be a member of.Members such as Dave was kind enough to tell us about his adventure, in which I alwaysget on Google Earth to see satellite images of places you guys have visited. Dumaguete of Negros Oriental (just south of Cebu Island) is another item on my list torediscover exotic places of my native land. Thank you sir -- Jake

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

For anyone who may want to visit Dumaguete, here are a few bits of info you may need: It takes 3 hours by bus from Cebu to Santander where you take a fast ferry across to the Dumaguete area. Other ferries are available from various locations if you wish to bring a motorcycle or car with you. (Price for bus was 169 pesos and fast ferry was 62 pesos. At the terminal you may pay 100 pesos for the tricycle driver to take you to downtown Dumaguete but he will ask more if you do not negotiate.) Transportation around Dumaguete is easy. I walked everywhere but there are very comfortable trikes available at 10 pesos a ride. They are extremely noisy when there are a lot of them going by during peak hours as one walks through town and they contribute to a lot of pollution when there is no breeze. Acceptable, budget lodging starts at 800 pesos a night. You can get cheaper but I like my comfort, such as a/c and hot water. The average meal in the average restaurant was 200 pesos, for me. That was eating plenty but did not include a bar tab. If your feet get tired walking the promenade in the evening, look for the foot massage lady. 50 pesos for 1/2 hour as you sit on the sea wall and listen to music from the restobars and feel the sea breeze. She will also tell you her life story in 1/2 hour if you encourage her.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
The average meal in the average restaurant was 200 pesos, for me. That was eating plenty but did not include a bar tab. If your feet get tired walking the promenade in the evening, look for the foot massage lady. 50 pesos for 1/2 hour as you sit on the sea wall and listen to music from the restobars and feel the sea breeze. She will also tell you her life story in 1/2 hour if you encourage her.
Interesting What is the beach like if any,or is just like mud flats?Western type bars and food?Girly bars?Clean city? if there is such a thing although I do recall Davao being rather clean a few years back.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Great information thanks! Quote Dave....“So much so that the local girls look away quickly if you smile at them, perhaps they fear another DOM attack as I am sure that happens frequently.”What is a DOM attack?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
What is the beach like if any,or is just like mud flats?Western type bars and food?Girly bars?Clean city? if there is such a thing although I do recall Davao being rather clean a few years back.
The shoreline near the Dumaguete promenade was rocky and no one was swimming. I heard there are 'ok' beaches close by but did not go looking. There are enough bars and restaurants that the variety is very good. You will find similar international quality and variety of food menus in Duma as you will in Cebu but I found the restos closer together and less expensive in Duma so that is a plus. I did not notice any girly bars but I was informed of a few where 'professional' girls hang out later in the evening. Beyond that I have no personal experience. The most popular place is the WhyNot disco, bar, restaurant. It is also one of the more expensive places but not costly compared to Cebu. A reasonable number of trash bins on display and lots of college kids concerned about their environment meant that the amount of trash blowing around was at a minimum However the pollution I mentioned plus the burning of trash tended to lessen the impact as a clean city. Edit for Old55: I used Jake's expression DOM (for Dirty Old Man) to refer to the guys who are looking at the girls like pieces of meat. Thus, by saying DOM attack I mean sexpats who are looking for yet another conquest. I get the impression that most of the girls there have been 'hit on' many many times and guys looking for conquests would be better off in some other city. Not to say that you cannot get 'lucky' in Duma. Its just not going to be a cakewalk. Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
What is the beach like if any,or is just like mud flats?Western type bars and food?Girly bars?Clean city? if there is such a thing although I do recall Davao being rather clean a few years back.
I did not notice any girly bars but I was informed of a few where 'professional' girls hang out later in the evening. Beyond that I have no personal experience.
Ah good, a place where the female doctors and lawyers,accountants etc hang out. :mocking:
  • Like 1