2 Lawmakers Want Death Penalty For Foreign Drug Traffickers

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Once again singling out foreigners, why not everyone? If passed, this law could be used against anyone with a plant of drugs. MANILA, Philippines - Two lawmakers want to impose the death penalty on foreigners convicted of trafficking in drugs. The House committee on dangerous drugs has endorsed for plenary approval a bill seeking to mete out the punishment. Representatives Rufus Rodriguez of Cagayan de Oro City and his brother Maximo, who represents Abante Mindanao, authored Bill 4510, which aims to amend Republic Act 9165, otherwise known as the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002. The law prohibits imposing the death penalty. link

sjp52
Posted
Posted

They just had some of their people killed in China over that and they did not like it

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
They just had some of their people killed in China over that and they did not like it
Right, but this bill would only apply to foreigners so no problem. Does anyone really think "foreign drug syndicates are now establishing their area of operations in the Philippines because the penalty for drug trafficking is only life imprisonment"?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Right, but this bill would only apply to foreigners so no problem. Does anyone really think "foreign drug syndicates are now establishing their area of operations in the Philippines because the penalty for drug trafficking is only life imprisonment"?
It is my impression that foreign involved in drugs have no respect for the Philippines ability to catch them, regardless of any penalty. If they really thought they would be caught then they either would not do it or have an army like the Mexican druggies to evade capture. For what its worth, I have my doubts about the authorities having the ability to catch more than a handful of the traffickers. About the death penalty: We have all seen how foreigners get treated by the authorities in the Ella Joy case. Thankfully there is no death penalty so there is always a chance to get out of jail when and if one is falsely convicted.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

When the death penalty was abolished a few years ago, with in months their was "calls" to reintroduce" it for kidnapping, drug trafficking,treason, etc etc. Will the Death Penalty be reestablished in the RP, yes, but not soon, their will be some "MAJOR" case which effects those powers to be, then they will pass the bill so fast,with little or no discussion compared to the other more serious bills/laws that is pending.(cough ..RH ..cough)

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Do they really have that big of a problem here in the Philippines with drug smugglers? I am not in a populated area but I do not see it as being such a big problem. Compared to other parts of the world.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Do they really have that big of a problem here in the Philippines with drug smugglers? I am not in a populated area but I do not see it as being such a big problem. Compared to other parts of the world.
Local gossip, among long term expats, is that the problem with drug smugglers is they compete with local, powerful, families who do it much more discretely. Again, just local gossip, not meant to accuse any influential filipino families who have politicians in their midst. That would be slanderous or some such thing.
  • Like 3