Water Project Update. 2 Pesos Per Container!

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here are 2 pics of the finished water project that I did out on Samar in October. It seems that some enterprising woman took it upon herself to tell non local squatters who came to get water that they had to pay her 2 pesos per container! This was reported to the people I have maintaining my charity there and they then painted the tank and the signage on the side 'should say' the water is free to all. At least that is what I was told they were painting on it. They also painted my name on it to stop local barangy officials from telling anyone that 'they' had the tank built and the water line installed from the source up the hill. The tank is working so well that the local officials are now talking about building another tank below the road and hooking it up to 'their' houses so they can get off city water. However the actual source of the water (plenty of water, no shortage) is on private family land of which is owned by the family I have looking after the charity on Samar so while the squatters get free water, I am sure that if house owners want water too it will involve some compensation to the family that owns the water source. Which is some what funny in that no one cares about the squatters until I arrived and started to help them. Unless of course it is election time then all the politicians want to help the voting squatters. Now that the extended family that owns the land where the water comes from saw how easy it was (for me, a Kano) to design and build a water tank system, and the potential money that can be made from it, they are now looking into selling water to the home owners to fill their own tank system. This water source which sits above Catbalogan for what thousands of years... was the main source of water for all Catbalogan up to the 1960's and then just forgotten about once the town put in their own piping system from treated river water to feed the growing town (muddy tap water when it rains!). Now people are seeing that they missed out on 30+ years of revenue by not putting in a tank and piping system (black plastic pipe) to feed houses below the source. Each house pays between 500 to 1200p a month for city water. Even if the family sold water at 200p a month x 300 houses, that is enough money to support many family members and pay for schooling and other costs. This new tank I built is providing water for 300+ squatters, all of which used to have family members to walk with jugs up the muddy hill thru the woods to get to the 50 yr old small tank set up just to get daily water. The new tank also has a shower (see pic) and an over flow pipe. So far the people have not yet been able to drain the tank which is fed with 450' of 3/4" black plastic pipe. If need be a 1" or 1.5" water line could be used to fill this tank and any additional tanks build next to it. Many thousands of gallons of water per hour flowing from the source. While I see free water and less work for the women squatters, others see it as potential political gain and even others look at it as a way to make money for themselves.... Everything was just fine and dandy for many years then this damn Kano comes along and makes a minor change to help some poor people and all of a sudden people start seeing $$$$ (pppp?) and trying to exploit it for themselves... Just WHO do they think they are! Americans? hehehehehehe post-404-0-12692400-1321735218_thumb.jpg post-404-0-88114700-1321735284_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bossman
  • Like 3

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Good work Bruce, you have made a difference in many poor peoples lives with all you do for the people whom you help. :541:

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Does your wife agree the writing says something about free water or does it say I am ugly and hung like a gnat? I am confused by some words.... hehehehe

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Does your wife agree the writing says something about free water or does it say I am ugly and hung like a gnat? I am confused by some words.... hehehehe
The first two lines are basically Bisaya so they say "This Water is free for all"The next three lines are waray and does not translate but the last word is Tank such as water tank, so I am guessing you are safe but maybe one of the guys who is married to or has a gf who speaks Waray could translate those other words, sorry that was the best we could do.

ironmaiden
Posted
Posted

It says this water is free for everybody and we have to take good care of this tank.

• Like 4