Where To Stay That Offers Surfing....details Inside

TheSweatyButcher
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone, my name is David and I'm 28. I am looking at relocating to the Philippines for several reasons. I am collecting some veterans benefits and have found a better quality of life living in other ''3rd world'' countries(Costa Rica for a couple months and Thailand for a month). I am looking into the Philippines because of the Va hospital there would make it a lot easier for me so I don't have to keep flying back to the states for appointments. What I am looking for is an area that I can live close to a surf break(might buy a scooter), not a big busy city, a slow pace is great for me. A studio or 1 bedroom apartment would work out great. I would like internet when available at my place. My income is $1500 a month but would like to spend as little as possible to save money. I have been looking at Siargao Island and west coast of Luzon but would like to hear from some people on this site. I will be glad to answer any other questions that will help find ''the spot''.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum David.I don't know about surfing in Philippines but your budget would work if you lived simply in a small town or countryside.How did you find Costa Rica?

TheSweatyButcher
Posted
Posted
Welcome to the forum David.I don't know about surfing in Philippines but your budget would work if you lived simply in a small town or countryside.How did you find Costa Rica?
I liked it a lot in Samara, had a nice small town/village feeling to it. I found a studio apartment for $350 a month that was a easy 2 minute walk to the beach. I then went to Tamarindo and didn't like that area. It was to built up and commercial for my liking.
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
Hello everyone, my name is David and I'm 28. I am looking at relocating to the Philippines for several reasons. I am collecting some veterans benefits and have found a better quality of life living in other ''3rd world'' countries(Costa Rica for a couple months and Thailand for a month). I am looking into the Philippines because of the Va hospital there would make it a lot easier for me so I don't have to keep flying back to the states for appointments. What I am looking for is an area that I can live close to a surf break(might buy a scooter), not a big busy city, a slow pace is great for me. A studio or 1 bedroom apartment would work out great. I would like internet when available at my place. My income is $1500 a month but would like to spend as little as possible to save money. I have been looking at Siargao Island and west coast of Luzon but would like to hear from some people on this site. I will be glad to answer any other questions that will help find ''the spot''.
Hello David, First of all, allow me to salute a fellow veteran -- you've sacrificed enough and now it's party time!I'm sure you have heard of surf camps called "Cloud 9" in Surigao and others located in La Union,which is west central coastline of Luzon. There is another secret location quickly becoming morepopular is the northern most west corner of Luzon. The die-hards surfers from Australia, US andEurope recommend "The better and more consistent surf is during the north east monsoon or thelocal term amihan, during November through April". If you need to visit the nearest VA clinic for service connected disabilities, please read this linkfor further information: http://www.philippin...indpost&p=38460 Please don't hesitate to ask or post any comments. We could all learn from you as well. Welcome aboard David -- Jake
  • Like 2

TheSweatyButcher
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the link Jake, I just found out where to get my VFW P.O. Box in Angeles City. I dont want to lose any important mail!