Rattan Furniture

samtheman
Posted
Posted

Hi There, been looking at Rattan furniture from a few online sites but would like to know where to get it in Cebu? also anyone have experience with rattan,good bad or otherwise? strong? better alternatives?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

In my younger years, all we had was nothing but rattan furniture and ceiling hanging capis shell lamps and alot of nice oil paintings and wood cravings throughout the entire house we shipped to the U.S. from Clark AB, Angeles City when I was in the military long time ago! Rattan furniture are only as good as to their design and who made them! So, one really have to use boots on the ground and go to every rattan furniture dealers in one's area and choose what best suits your taste in design and quality of their assembly as long one has a keen eye to see what's quality and what's not! When our rattan furniture, J shape bar with 6 bar stools, 3 piece sofa set, China cabinet and hutch, dinning table with 8 chairs, bar/food server on wheels, mamasan and double papasan chairs got grungy and no longer liked the original color of Jade green, so I refurbished them all myself using a paint antiquing technique with a light beige base coat and brown wood grain finish look and it came out good as new! We sold all of our rattan furniture long ago at a good fair price before retiring to the Philippines.Nowadays, quality rattan furniture will not come cheap! So be prepaid to pay their high prices for good quality furniture or go locally for their cheap constructed ones and cheap prices, but will not probably last long! Here's a good site to see all the variety of rattan furniture designs: http://www.sunvalley...om/index-2.html

Edited by Art2ro

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Anytime I have seen quality Rattan furniture being made, (lots of small ventures around Cebu urban area), I have been unable to purchase the product. Everything they make is contracted out to an exporter. In fact there is a kind of assembly line approach. One small outfit makes the frames and then they are shipped to another small outfit who weave the rattan. Even trying cash under the table did not work as the amount of frames coming into the weavers had to equal the amount of finished product going out.

• Like 1

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

Many of the factories here in Cebu have over run sales I think about January, however if you want to buy some high quality furniture at big knock down prices I beleive that David Maynard of CYMRU Furniture is having a sale this weekend. You can contact him on 09173231738.

• Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted
Anytime I have seen quality Rattan furniture being made, (lots of small ventures around Cebu urban area), I have been unable to purchase the product. Everything they make is contracted out to an exporter. In fact there is a kind of assembly line approach. One small outfit makes the frames and then they are shipped to another small outfit who weave the rattan. Even trying cash under the table did not work as the amount of frames coming into the weavers had to equal the amount of finished product going out.
Don't know about other countries but here in Australia, rattan furniture is outrageously expensive and pretty well considered elite. My missus laughed her head off the first time we noticed this stuff in a furiniture store here after reading the price tag. I love the stuff but can't afford it here. Maybe this kinda explains the situation.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

One of the hotel rooms I stayed in at the Montebello hotel had rattan tables and chairs, I was surprised of how strong they were.Only problem I recall was the height of the chairs was to low when sitting at the table. There seems to be a few who make and sell rattan furniture to the public in Manila.

samtheman
Posted
Posted

Thank you guys very much for helping.I decided since I will have to go to Manila next month to have a look there.No real hurry anyway.

talim
Posted
Posted

Hi Sam,You might look for Polyrattan as well, this is the plastic rattan stuff for outdoor, Cebu is world Famous for this !DEDON the world best name for Polyrattan has the factory in Cebu as many others...Kenneth Cobonpue, world famous furniture designer is on Cebu as well.If you live in Cebu there should be no need purchase stuff in Manila, Cebu is a famous furniture producing place.Pampangas out of Manila is as well famous for furniture.If you go to Manila, then CAVITE, just outside Manila, on Coastal Road has plenty of Rattan choice along the road.you can look at this link as well, it has exhibitor of furniture fair held in Manila : www.manilafame.com

• Like 1