Customs At The Airport

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

My wife says I worry to much about what we bring into the Philippines in our luggage. Personally I do not like the thought of having to explain why we have half a dozen nice women's hand bags, several digital camera's (not including my personal), a few laptops and so forth. Much of this stuff was purchased at Macy's during their sales. What I take is what leaves with me, Netbook, SLR Camera, small point & shoot camera and 2 cell phones (One stays on for work emergency, AT&T SIM, and the other cheapo for use there).Anyone have any horror stories I can try to share with my wife about customs? I feel we have been very lucky in the past not getting hit up for customs fee's and taxes. This is by far the heaviest load we/I have ever carried. Plus we will be arriving before Christmas.Of course wife says not to worry about it. Am I being to paranoid?Thanks for any advice.

Bundy
Posted
Posted

I don't know how many times i have visited RP since 1986 but it's a LOT. Maybe it's just me and maybe i'm just lucky but i can't remember even one single time when i've even been asked to open my bags on arrival. I like Cebu airport because after arrival it seems a VERY short period of time and you're out on the street.Even in Manila, i have not been asked to present my luggage for inspection so personally, as long as you're not carrying anything illegal i wouldn't be worried at all. The worst thing that has happened is the wife is usually asked if we have chocolates in our bags and ofcourse the possibility of some "spare". Also when we leave she is usually asked " if we enjoyed our stay and do we have anything leftover "

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Although I have no bad experiences entering the Philippines, I usually don't carry too many extras. A couple times now an extra laptop and of course many clothes and small gifts. Never had any problems.My worry is more when reentering the US. Pounds of dry fish and peanuts. We don't declare them and I am always concerned we will be checked. I always make her pack those items in her bags and plan to act surprised and yell at her if they are discovered. I will yell at her just enough to make her upset and hopefully make the officers understand it was the first time and maybe get a break with just a warning.danny

• Like 2

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

It was a beautiful sunny day in january of 1978 when i landed in LOS ANGELES from MANILA for the first time. i had no check in baggage ,just one jym bag and a pocket full of cash. As i was on my way to customs , i saw a crowd of passengers at the baggage claim area screaming and laughing their heads off, naturally i had to find out why. As i neared baggage claim i could smell the stench and foul aroma that got stronger as i got nearer. to my surprise the conveyer belt was covered in slimy foul smelling BAGOONG. [bottled shrimp fry] .A big box broke and spilled the broken bottles all over.I didnt wait around to see the outcome of that fiasco, i just hightailed it past customs , fired up a smoke, hailed a cab, and thought to myself...Welcome to America. :lol: tanks EJ.

• Like 2

Garpo
Posted
Posted

My rule of thumb when it comes to bringing items into the Philippines is make sure that i declare anything that I can not explain as being mine. I can explain two cameras or even two lap tops, but a bunch of ladies hand bags might be a problem for me. If you are going to claim the items as being your own personal property for your own use then make sure that it is not still in shipping or packages that still have the price tags on them.... When in doubt I would say that it is best just to declare it as gifts for family members.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Excuse me? How is it spelled??? B A L I K B Y A N B O X es ??? Always sent of course, by your deceased brother-in-law's name.....

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted
Excuse me? How is it spelled??? B A L I K B Y A N B O X es ??? Always sent of course, by your deceased brother-in-law's name.....
:lol: Already sent 10 of them last month. All we are carrying now is for Christmas gifts.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

We have only had some issues in Manila airport where customs officers would say, "sir we have to open all your suitcases," and my wife would then hand them some pesos and then they would say, "OK no need to open sir" but that was about 4 years ago and we now enter via Cebu where they seem much friendlier and not with their hands out. We did have a big white chalk x on one suitcase once entering Cebu a few years back and they made us open that one case because we had a bunch of writing pens in it for the kids and they said they saw the springs on xray and did not know what they were. We no longer bring pens and just buy them locally. I was also told the xray machine broke a year or two ago and they were in the process of buying a new one for Cebu earlier this year.

Candyman
Posted
Posted

One time at Cebu International airport, about four years ago, I had bought a box of 100, unusual cigarette lighters in the shapes of different nude women. it was an unopened box of them, and I had bought them for my, and my families own use, and packed them in the check in luggage. Well, customs at Cebu picked them up on X Ray, and I was made to unpack the bag, and take them out. The Customs officer said "they were not allowed on the plane !" He was undoubtedly expecting a free gift of them, and was even going to confiscate my own lighter, which I carried in my pocket, for the same reason "not allowed on the plane !" I said no problem, and while my wife dealt with the rest of the luggage, I took the unopened box and my own lighter, back outside the airport and gave them to Mama, and told her to sell them herself, and make a few pesos. The customs officer wouldn't even look at me when I returned to the counter !The hardest part was trying to buy a cigarette lighter at Sydney Airport when we landed !

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
One time at Cebu International airport, about four years ago, I had bought a box of 100, unusual cigarette lighters in the shapes of different nude women. it was an unopened box of them, and I had bought them for my, and my families own use, and packed them in the check in luggage. Well, customs at Cebu picked them up on X Ray, and I was made to unpack the bag, and take them out. The Customs officer said "they were not allowed on the plane !" He was undoubtedly expecting a free gift of them, and was even going to confiscate my own lighter, which I carried in my pocket, for the same reason "not allowed on the plane !" I said no problem, and while my wife dealt with the rest of the luggage, I took the unopened box and my own lighter, back outside the airport and gave them to Mama, and told her to sell them herself, and make a few pesos. The customs officer wouldn't even look at me when I returned to the counter ! The hardest part was trying to buy a cigarette lighter at Sydney Airport when we landed !
Sounds like he wanted a Christmas gift.