Advice on building payments

roadstar31148
Posted
Posted

iv been here nearly 3 years ,,back to aust from time to time,,i have not been robbed but have been scammed and swindled many times,,,maybe lost close to a million pesos,,,,i have a problem now and would like some advise if possible,,,,i have payed nearly the full amount for building work on a place i bought with my partner,,,,,trouble now is the work is incomplete and he has my money,,,,,is it worth while going through a lawyer or not,,,,, i knew this guy for 3 years and he was the closest thing to a friend i had here,,,,,thats it for having anything to do with a local now,,,,im finished !!!!!!!!!

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

If one doesn't personally oversee the overall building phase from start to finish on a daily basis, there will certainly be cost over runs and maybe some construction mistakes that has to be redone adding to the cost of materials and labor! Usually the last 25% of the construction cost is fully paid after all the work is done completely! A foreigner going to court to sue a Filipino is another matter! Just caulk it up as to mistakes learned and move on!

• Like 1

sjp52
Posted
Posted (edited)
iv been here nearly 3 years ,,back to aust from time to time,,i have not been robbed but have been scammed and swindled many times,,,maybe lost close to a million pesos,,,,i have a problem now and would like some advise if possible,,,,i have payed nearly the full amount for building work on a place i bought with my partner,,,,,trouble now is the work is incomplete and he has my money,,,,,is it worth while going through a lawyer or not,,,,, i knew this guy for 3 years and he was the closest thing to a friend i had here,,,,,thats it for having anything to do with a local now,,,,im finished !!!!!!!!!
I feel for you Roadstar. Most people today have learned that you never pay all of the money until the job is done. These things happen every where in the world. You could go after him through the courts but it will take a long time and the out come is very unpredictable. I would chock it up to a expensive lesson learned and move on. One thing I have learned when dealing with help is to get foreigners input on who is good .. Thats why these forums are so valuable.There are good honest workers here but there are more that are not. when I hired workers for my constuction jobs I had to go through many before I found good ones and a lot of the bad ones were recommended by my family . Now if I needed help I would ask in this forum and one other. The later forum has lots of members but is not as friendly as this one. Edited by Captain Tom