Inability To Protect Has Created A 'parallel System'

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

This is more or less about some of the things I have posted about recently saying crimes often just do not seem to get solved in the Philippines. If they cannot protect their own citizens, or do not have the will to do so, how are they supposed to protect us. The system is terribly broken and no repair is in sight, and IMHO only getting worse as time passes.

A Statement by the Asian Human Rights Commission on the Occasion of the International Human Rights DayDecember 10, 2011

The Asian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) today published its 25-page report containing its analyses on what it has observed as the irreparable 'social and systemic impact' of the ongoing violations of human rights in the country. The government remains incapable of providing the most rudimentary forms of protection to its people despite the growing intolerance of the public towards human rights violations. On the other hand the improvements in the legal framework to protect rights, has created the situation where despite the laws being in place to protect the citizens they resort to an emerging 'parallel system' from which they now seek remedies and redress.The ongoing phenomenon of extrajudicial killings and enforced disappearances, with the government admitting to the poor record of convictions, raises a serious question as to whether the country's justice system is capable of ensuring the protection of rights. While there remains the shared perception in the notion of justice and democratic space victims are rapidly losing confidence in the institutions of justice. They no long see the importance of registering complaints.Here, police investigations, because of its flaws, themselves becomes the obstacle in seeking possibilities of remedies and redress; the prosecution, because of its apparent vulnerability to political control and public pressure, becomes a political tool rather than a method of pursuing the violations of victims' rights; and the court, because of its failure to ensure cases are resolved promptly, has become complicit in the deprivation of the possibilities of remedies.As a result, when the complainants file their complaints they do so without the expectation that it will result in to something. This increasing absence of confidence in the system of justice: the police, the prosecutors and the courts, has resulted in victims resorting to a 'parallel system'. Here, the report observes the phenomenon of 'remedy by publicity'.Link to complete story

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Jungle rules apply here. Especially out in the boonies. I wonder what the going rate is for "salvaging"operation?

• Like 1

roadstar31148
Posted
Posted

i read on enquirer .net an article by ramon tuflo about a business man being aquitted of rape charges against his daughter inlaw and grand daughters ages 4 and 7 ,,,they couldnt remember the exact day the rapes took place so he was let off the hook,,,,,,,,,,i think that says it all about philippino justice system,,,,,,,,

MikeB
Posted
Posted
i read on enquirer .net an article by ramon tuflo about a business man being aquitted of rape charges against his daughter inlaw and grand daughters ages 4 and 7 ,,,they couldnt remember the exact day the rapes took place so he was let off the hook,,,,,,,,,,i think that says it all about philippino justice system,,,,,,,,
And what does the OJ and Anthony verdicts say about the US justice system? I don't know anything about this case you cited, nor could I find anything about it, could you post the source please?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Jungle rules apply here. Especially out in the boonies. I wonder what the going rate is for "salvaging"operation?
Cebu City 5,000 Peso
  • Like 1

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I just realized I have no idea how things turned out with the two guys that attempted to rob - and possibly more - my stepdaughter a year ago. Back in those days, we were hearing lots about money that would come to her after it went to court. The family was trying to pay us off, but the cops said to hold out, because she was entitled to a lot more. Well, we were clearly getting run around about a bunch of stuff, but eventually moved to Leyte from Marikina, and I haven't heard it discussed since. Our nanny at the time was also dating one of the cops, apparently, and getting advice from him about how to handle it. He may have even tried to use her to influence my stepdaughter. We lived in Korea while all this was happening in the Philippines, so it was hard to know what was going on. I'm not even sure if she got her cellphone back, the one being used as evidence.Speaking of the nanny, before she worked for us, her husband had killed a man in our town because the guy had beef with his friend while at the videoke. He spent a few months in the local police station, but was let out daily to shop for groceries and cook for the police, as well as hang out and ref our basketball games. His sister paid 20,000 pesos to the victim's family, I believe, and he was let out of prison with no charges.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

It's all about money, never about justice here.

• Like 2