Prepaid Visa

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

I was talking to my grand daughter who works in the bank, about prepaid visa cards , i was in a Wal mart and saw a guy getting one with his paycheck, she told me a lot of people who cannot get a bank account use them, such as illegal aliens , so i looked on line and found out some people use these for travel also, load it up and use it in most countries, to my surprise the fee was lower than my bank of america visa, $1.95 per transaction, $500 in a 24 hour period, direct deposit is free, online checks free, but there is a fee of $4.99 a month, if you deposit over $500 it is 99 cents a month, i see quite a few of these sites. maybe something to look in to for travel anyway.

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

It sounds like what a secured deposit credit card is or can do and one can get it from any bank, anywhere! Reloadable Credit Cardshttp://usa.visa.com/...d-card-faq.htmlSecured Deposit Credit Cardshttp://www.bankrate....dit-card-1.aspx

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

PREPAID VISA, thats a contradictory term, PREPAID mean just that PREPAID, you load , you spend,no money/load(credit) not able to spend, ALL your doing is USING the VISA LOGO on a piece of plastic,sort of a "poor mans" credit(not true credit card). Its just like a ATM/DEBT card ,About other post, a SECURED CARD is just that. you put in 1000, your credit limit is anywhere from 500 to 1000. You do pay interest if you have a balance, MOST important feature is that it ALLOWS YOU to REBUILD your Credit,ALSO you would not have the same "BILLING RIGHTS" as you would on a NORMAL CREDIT CARD.you may have LOW monthly "FEE" but watch out for those NASTY hidden fees. overseas transaction,cash advance etc,Its been posted in a previous topic IF your leaving the US or other countries that use a CREDIT BUREAUDONT CLOSE OUT ALL YOUR CREDIT CARDS, (keep the oldest cards, which has the Credit history and ones with a low APR)unless you already have your pension(s), local house paid for and you have NO INTENTION TO RETURN,WHO KNOWS what may happen, 1 FM he had a serious accident, luckily he had his OVERSEAS credit card that he was able to useYes some of us younger members do still use our credit cards compared to the retired/well planned members, so do what you think is best for your situation.

• Like 1

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

Yes it was the fee i was talking about $1.95 per transaction international, one site i looked at had domestic transaction $3.00 International $2.00 my Bank of America $5.00 international, one thing i will not do in the Philippines is use my credit card for purchase in a store, i did this once in the largest music store in the Philippines, my account is set up if there is a charge on my ATM card i am sent an email, well a few days after i used the card in the music store, i get email there are charges on my card , called BOA and they canceled my card and sent a new one but it took 7 days Fed X, i was not charged , so someone got my number from the store from now on i go get cash from ATM to buy.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
i was not charged , so someone got my number from the store from now on i go get cash from ATM to buy.
1.have you thought about using a local bank ATM CARD . like bancnet, or EPS?? you must use a PIN NUMBER to complete a transaction. 2.ALWAYS KEEP SIGHT OF ANY CARD you have? dont let it out of sight if all possible.Prepaid VISA.it is a good thing to have a "prepaid visa" card BUTI must warn you about this possible slight inconvenience but it still does existWhen you travel, it is expected that you have enough $$$ ,money,funds to support your self,most people do that these days by have a VALID CREDIT CARD.A experience that did happen to me in the very early 00's when i was a resident of SPAIN. when i returned thru the Airport, I was "stopped" (challenged) by the passport control that I did have sufficient FUNDING for my stay.mind you I was already living there, I, 1st gave them a 2 US credit cards,unknowingly 1 had just expired few days before. the invalid card didnt please them at all. When I then showed them my local( Spanish bank ) ATM/CARD they just look at it and i was free to go,I later realized that they was just doing RANDOM CHECKS that holiday period to SCAN out any possible "free loaders" , I just happened to be stopped as i was the lucky ##.I spoke w/an acquaintance who i knew there,That they did(do) verify at times who has "sufficient" funding to support there stay ,AND A "PREPAID CARD" a the RED FLAG ... FYI.