Question About Number Of Days In Country Before Flight Back

TheSweatyButcher
Posted
Posted

I dont know if this is going to be a problem but I land in Manila on Feb 15 and my return flight is 68 days later. I understand that I will need to apply for a couple visa's while I'm there. Am I going to have any problems with my entry? If so will it be with the airlines when I leave the Sates or the PI customs?I also plan on bringing bank statements showing that I can survive.The reason why its 68 days is if I dont like the PI I can fly back to the states. If not it will be a throw away ticket. Bonus question is I've heard that when your applying for a visa and your slip a $50 in your passport they will give you a longer stay. Anyone ever heard/done this?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I have read of at least one instance where a traveler was forced by the airline to purchase or change a return that was not within the 21 day window but I believe that is a long shot and if there was a problem it would be with the airline, not Immigration. Why not call the airline and ask their policy? I don't think you will have a problem but when I moved here I purposely scheduled my return within 21 days for peace of mind and stayed. I would not attempt a bribe with the Immigration Officers.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I bought a ticket for 56 days. Last trip (3 months ago) I stopped into immigration and they said no big deal. Make copies of the passport for their records, fill out an application, pay the fee and you are done for the next set of time.Bribery should not be needed in the correct time frames, but the head immigration guy out on Samar was transfered due to bribery issues.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Normally from my experience its as long as you have a ticket onward,the time wont matter as the Philippines policy is a ticket onward,the airlines are only satisfying the Philippines rules. If you have trouble with the airline you remind them of the onward ticket rule and that's all they have to comply with.Somewhere here there is a thread on this and some peoples experience may be different.Do not even think about bribes, you do not need it and its the law to stamp for 21 days without a visa,could be questions asked later if there is a different date stamped and then you might get an extra stay at the immigration office or jail.Departments like the BI have been cleaned up in recent times,not worth the risk for a few peso.Oh, customs have nothing to do with it,its immigration you are dealing with unless your suit case is full of happy weed then its customs job to search and detain you. So there is more than one way to get an extended stay :no:

• Like 2

TheSweatyButcher
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply's, I'll call the airlines tomorrow.

Bundy
Posted
Posted

I arrived in Manila once with a 6 month dated return ticket and was given the usual 21 day stamp in my passport. No questions were asked at all. I agree with the others, please don't try and bribe an immigration officer, you're at their mercy and they can turn the situation around to suit themselves at the drop of a hat, anyway it is NOT needed.