Computer Connection For My Home In The P.i.

oldutot
Posted
Posted

What does take to have a internet connection in the Philippines. Do I need phone service or a DSL line. What are the costs just a jack put infor available internet. I will living in the Manila area. Thanks for any replays

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Would like to know this to. Also we will be visiting for a few weeks in March. Can we get a plug in on a temporary basis? Will also be in Metro Manila close to SM Sucat or MOA

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Would like to know this to. Also we will be visiting for a few weeks in March. Can we get a plug in on a temporary basis? Will also be in Metro Manila close to SM Sucat or MOA
For short term use, buy a SmartBro from the cell phone shops. Googe it to read up on it. Makes your computer a cell phone type of attachment to the internet. OK for most emails and stuff, but often too slow for good skype or yahoo mesenger.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Both PLDT and Globe DSL required a 1 year contract so for short term, as Bruce said, the usb dongle is your best bet. I had a much better connection with Globe Tattoo (below) then Smartbro but depends on location of tower.1660681880.png

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Not sure if this is of interest to you but I use a prepaid Globe dongle in my desktop computer on Leyte.It costs P5 for 15 minutes prepaid.We also use the P50 all day deal. It works out much cheaper if I have a lot of stuff to do on the internet.No idea what sort of speeds you will get in Manila. In Palompon Leyte, when downloading, I see spikes up to 600kbps and some sites will only achieve about 40kbps but mostly it settles in between 120 and 130 kbps.Regards: Jim

oldutot
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replied, I was talking to one of my wife relatives, she recommend to me wi-tribe Phil internet connection. For me just having internet connection will save me and the wife money for communication purposes to her relatives. :unsure:http://www.wi-tribe.ph/

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
- added link