I Wonder If This Will Lead To Less Taxis On The Road?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Right now it is a win win situation for the fleet owners, but if this happens, then it might be harder for those owners to make it worth their while to have so many taxis. What do you think?Fixed pay planned for cab drivers, tooTAXI operators may be asked to hire drivers as regular employees who get monthly pay, instead of having them work 24-hour shifts just to make enough for the car’s rent.After issuing a memorandum circular ordering bus companies and operators to grant salaries and benefits to their drivers, effective Jan. 16, the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) is also reviewing the compensation scheme for taxi drivers, an official said.LTFRB Board Member Manuel Iway said the number one problem in taxi operations is that owners use a boundary system, where drivers work 24 hours straight to make the rent, pegged at P1,000 or more per day.Iway said the board has received reports some taxi drivers take illegal drugs to stay awake longer and work more hours.Consultations in Metro Manila showed most taxi drivers want a monthly salary, Iway also said, because under the present system, they end up with nothing if they don’t drive enough passengers to meet the boundary or daily rental.In Metro Manila, the minimum wage is P389 to P426 per day. It is P305 in Metro Cebu, as ordered last year by the regional wage board.The LTFRB is not only requiring bus and taxi companies to give salaries to their drivers, but also to pay their membership premiums with the Social Security System, Home Mutual Development Fund (Pag-ibig Fund) and the Philippine Health Insurance Corp.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Could have a back lash against the drivers. While some drivers might be happy to make 300-400p a day + tips (they buy their own fuel), the owners might have minimum quota for them, and if the drivers do not meet it, then there may be a high turn over as they get fired and new drivers hired to try and make money for the owners.A driver with a guarantee pay every day is not going to me as much of a hustler and money hungry as a driver who MUST make rental cost AND fuel cost before he makes any money.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Most drivers of public buses use the "boundary system". Loading more passengers means more profit.Racing like suicidal maniacs, one or more drivers will try to out maneuver each other to get to that onelarge group of waiting passengers. Red lights, pedestrians in cross walks and other vehicles will notimpede their macho driving behavior (who's got the bigger balls). Same thing applies out in the boonies.More turn around trips they make is more profit. Yeah, forget about safety factors such as max loadcapacity, speed limit, illegal passing and severe sleep deprivation. In fact, the government imposeddrug tests because many drivers taking shabu. Now the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) are taking steps to removethis boundary system. I think it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully, it's not another lip service.

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Most drivers of public buses use the "boundary system". Loading more passengers means more profit.Racing like suicidal maniacs, one or more drivers will try to out maneuver each other to get to that onelarge group of waiting passengers. Red lights, pedestrians in cross walks and other vehicles will notimpede their macho driving behavior (who's got the bigger balls). Same thing applies out in the boonies.More turn around trips they make is more profit. Yeah, forget about safety factors such as max loadcapacity, speed limit, illegal passing and severe sleep deprivation. In fact, the government imposeddrug tests because many drivers taking shabu. Now the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) are taking steps to removethis boundary system. I think it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully, it's not another lip service.
JAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I don't think you are aware... BUT... you just repeated the (oh gawd I am sick of hearing about it AGAIN) beginnnings of NASCAR!You know that old heard-it-way-too-much crap about running 'shine' back in the old days and the drivers went on to form NASCAR. (Just how much intelligence it takes to chew tobacco and make repeated LEFT turns? Now tell me agin RickyBobby... wich of them pedals makes it go, an wich make it stop?)Now, we just need to find a backer with some money to recreate the Dukes Of Hazard / Manila Style!Wow! We will be rich and all we have to do is hire a film crew (students, they are cheaper and if any get killed, easy to replace) to ride with the jeepneys! Some fancy editing and a little high tech animation to show the jeepneys jumping over the elevated highways and we can capture 85% of the Pinoy TV audience.....
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
JAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I don't think you are aware... BUT... you just repeated the (oh gawd I am sick of hearing about it AGAIN) beginnnings of NASCAR!You know that old heard-it-way-too-much crap about running 'shine' back in the old days and the drivers went on to form NASCAR. (Just how much intelligence it takes to chew tobacco and make repeated LEFT turns? Now tell me agin RickyBobby... wich of them pedals makes it go, an wich make it stop?)Now, we just need to find a backer with some money to recreate the Dukes Of Hazard / Manila Style!Wow! We will be rich and all we have to do is hire a film crew (students, they are cheaper and if any get killed, easy to replace) to ride with the jeepneys! Some fancy editing and a little high tech animation to show the jeepneys jumping over the elevated highways and we can capture 85% of the Pinoy TV audience.....
I think I've said it before,you are strange Bruce :thumbsup:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

IMHO ...... it might be good for the bus drivers but they need to rethink the taxi drivers ..... and quotas for monthly paid drivers will most definitely be the norm ....... owners are not going to want to foot the fuel cost and repair costs ...... (if there is such a thing .... LOL) I see the cost of riding in taxi's getting more expensive if this proposal takes place ..... especially with the guy who only has 2-5 cabs ...... the larger well maintained fleets like Spyder and Ken's might do OK

Bundy
Posted
Posted

So, what chance are we gunna have at getting a ride in a taxi with a driver who's already met his quota for the day? None i guess coz he'll be sleeping under a tree somewhere. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted
So, what chance are we gunna have at getting a ride in a taxi with a driver who's already met his quota for the day? None i guess coz he'll be sleeping under a tree somewhere. :thumbsup:
Or.... there will be ghost drivers who drive as the now paid main driver will simply collect his pay and let others drive under his name.... There will be a large secondary market to rent those cabs from the drivers.

Bundy
Posted
Posted
Or.... there will be ghost drivers who drive as the now paid main driver will simply collect his pay and let others drive under his name.... There will be a large secondary market to rent those cabs from the drivers.
Ahhh!..........now you're thinking like a Filipino businessman.