Different Accents

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Here's a true story which may help to prepare any newbie visitior to the Philippines or at least let you know what can happen when trying to communicate.Yanks probably don't have this problem coz your accent is pretty close to Filipino english, at least, it sounds the same to me anyway. But for the rest of us poor buggers, and particularly for a farmer from country Queensland, sometimes it gets pretty tough when ya just tryin to make yourself understood.This is not meant to be a criticism of anyone, nor am i whinging or complaining, fact is i'm a very easy going bloke who just tries to see the best in anyone and always looks for the funny side to any situation.I figure if ya live ya life with that attitude, the world's a far better place.Ok, so we're at SM Cebu and we've done our shopping, the missus has bought a few things from the deparment store, we've got our groceries, i got a new coffee to try, we've had a good feed at Kenny Roger's and we're headin for the nearest exit when i spied the "Mister Donut" stand. I says to the missus, "wait a minute hon, i'm just gunna grab some donuts to have with me coffee", she says "no problem, i'll wait for you here" and she sits down with the bags.Over i go to the Mister Donut. There is a young girl behind the counter by herself and the conversation goes something like this.................Girl..........Hi Sir,Yes SirMe..........G'day, i'll have a box of half a dozen assorted donuts please.Girl.........(with bemused look on her face) Sorry sir, no donut!Me..........Um, ok, let's try this again, and now trying to speak in my best Queens English, Can i please have a box of half a dozen different donuts.Girl.........(now looking at me like i'm from outa space) sorry sir, no donut!Me..........(pointing to the vast assortment of donuts displayed in the glass cabinet right infront of her) So what are these, blocks of swiss cheese?Girl..........Sorry sir, no cheese!!!!Me...........Ok love, no worries, have a good afternoon.Girl..........Bye sir.I goes back to where the missus is waiting and she says "so where's your donuts?" I says, "The girl says she doesn't have any" The missus then went over and came back a minute later with a box of six donuts........all different! I said........"what did i do wrong"................ Ahhh she just didn't understand you!I gave up trying to order anything from Jollibee at Gaisano Tabunok too coz they couldn't understand me either. The funny thing is, after being in the Philippines for months, i get used to the accent to the point where it becomes normal, and then when i return to Brisbane and hear Aussies talking, straight away i think to myself " Geez, do we really sound like that?" I mean, it just sounds terrible!

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
Here's a true story which may help to prepare any newbie visitior to the Philippines or at least let you know what can happen when trying to communicate.Yanks probably don't have this problem coz your accent is pretty close to Filipino english, at least, it sounds the same to me anyway. But for the rest of us poor buggers, and particularly for a farmer from country Queensland, sometimes it gets pretty tough when ya just tryin to make yourself understood.This is not meant to be a criticism of anyone, nor am i whinging or complaining, fact is i'm a very easy going bloke who just tries to see the best in anyone and always looks for the funny side to any situation.I figure if ya live ya life with that attitude, the world's a far better place.Ok, so we're at SM Cebu and we've done our shopping, the missus has bought a few things from the deparment store, we've got our groceries, i got a new coffee to try, we've had a good feed at Kenny Roger's and we're headin for the nearest exit when i spied the "Mister Donut" stand. I says to the missus, "wait a minute hon, i'm just gunna grab some donuts to have with me coffee", she says "no problem, i'll wait for you here" and she sits down with the bags.Over i go to the Mister Donut. There is a young girl behind the counter by herself and the conversation goes something like this.................Girl..........Hi Sir,Yes SirMe..........G'day, i'll have a box of half a dozen assorted donuts please.Girl.........(with bemused look on her face) Sorry sir, no donut!Me..........Um, ok, let's try this again, and now trying to speak in my best Queens English, Can i please have a box of half a dozen different donuts.Girl.........(now looking at me like i'm from outa space) sorry sir, no donut!Me..........(pointing to the vast assortment of donuts displayed in the glass cabinet right infront of her) So what are these, blocks of swiss cheese?Girl..........Sorry sir, no cheese!!!!Me...........Ok love, no worries, have a good afternoon.Girl..........Bye sir.I goes back to where the missus is waiting and she says "so where's your donuts?" I says, "The girl says she doesn't have any" The missus then went over and came back a minute later with a box of six donuts........all different! I said........"what did i do wrong"................ Ahhh she just didn't understand you!I gave up trying to order anything from Jollibee at Gaisano Tabunok too coz they couldn't understand me either. The funny thing is, after being in the Philippines for months, i get used to the accent to the point where it becomes normal, and then when i return to Brisbane and hear Aussies talking, straight away i think to myself " Geez, do we really sound like that?" I mean, it just sounds terrible!
Your encounter with Mister Donuts was hilarious! I could just imagine meeting a Filipina with an Australian accent.I would instantly crack a fat.....he, he.Respectfully -- Jake
  • Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted
Your encounter with Mister Donuts was hilarious! I could just imagine meeting a Filipina with an Australian accent.I would instantly crack a fat.....he, he.Respectfully -- Jake
:( :hystery: Mate, this happened years ago, but i still get a laugh from it now! To me, it's just all part of the fun that IS the Philippines.Ya wouldn't be dead for quids!
  • Like 1

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
I showed him by movement of my hand inserting somethingup my butt.
I'm surprised he didn't try to sell you an enema. It goes the same place but the results are nowhere near the same :thumbsup:
  • Like 4