Allied Bank

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I have a dollar account with Allied Bank, which was the only bank that would open an account for me without an ACR-I card, I was a tourist at the time. I told Immigration I was thinking about an SRRV visa didn't have an account and BDO wouldn't let me open one. The local head of BoI pointed me toward Allied which set me up without a problem.The good, the bad and the ugly: They are open five and a half days every week except national holidays. However, you can't withdraw money on Saturday because they don't have an exchange quote for that day. They are handle wire transactions but charge 20 bucks to receive the money from overseas. Ouch! My credit union hits me for 30 bucks to send it. Worst of all is they have a 60 day hold on overseas checks deposited in your account. And I mean 60 days no fail. So you drop your tax return or some check sent to you from the States into your account, just set your reminder for two months before you can access it. Some other banks have faster returns on check deposits, but many don't. I know some guys that deposit in short term time deposits so at least it makes a bit of interest while sitting. Allied had a bank on my wife's home island so it made it easier to send money to the family if necessary. So we have stayed with it. I will check out BDO again since I have my ACR-I now and see what the charges for overseas transfers are. And how long they hold checks. Any serious improvement on Allied's terms and I may change. But if you are here long term on a tourist visa, Allied may be worth a try if BDO or other banks say no to you.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Tatoosh .... another great bank to use is Bank of Commerce ..... they are owned by San Miguel Holding Corp. so they ain't going anywhere ....... we opened our account when I first got here with no problem and only a local address and bill ..... checks clear in the standard 21 business days ...... you can open a dollar and peso savings account the same day but checking account takes a few months longer ..... open 5 1/2 days a week and if you notify them on Fri. that you need dollars on Sat they will reserve the amount you ask for and keep it in the vault until you pick it up on Sat ..... they only hold a few thousand US in the vault normally for Sat unless you make the prior arrangements ......They have branches all over the Philippines but not sure if they have one near you ...... we are extremely happy with them .... and as they were the ONLY ones offering to help us get started extremely loyal ........ all the other banks keep saying "sorry sir ... the law will not allow us to open accounts for foreigners" ....... which was a big lie ..... they should have manned up and said "sorry sir ... OUR BANK POLICY will not allow us to open accounts for foreigners" ..... big difference :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

yes ALLIED BANK is very good in the services it provides,I had inquired on them when I 1st visited the RP,but after much checking,BPI & BPI FAMILY SAVINGS won me over,low remittance rates,30 days clearing of US checks MANY ATMS that allow night time/after hours deposits,if you have the time,inquire,After much thought, Its your personal choice,Select the bank that YOU FEEL MOST COMFORTABLE WITH. :hystery:

Edited by ed villas
  • Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

My bank, BDO SM Bacolod allowed me an account but only as the 2nd signer to my wife. Every bank branch is a separate franchise and has their own rules. If one refuses you, walk down the street to a different branch. You might be treated better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Steve & Myrlita, I have heard the same thing from others. One BDO bank is all "Sorry, sir, not allowed" and the next is "that's fine please fill out the signature card". I know one guy that walked about three blocks to a different branch and opened an account without a problem after being turned down by the first branch. This was after I had opened my account with Allied, so I haven't pursued it. But since I get refund checks on my medications I purchase, it would be nice to be able to just deposit them. I am just now willing to wait 60 days for them to become available.

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

The best bank is HSBC period . Locations world wide , the best exchange rate , You can walk into a branch anywhere in the world and open a local account in local funds , when using the card no extra international fees at the ATM all ATMs are considered local .There many advantages to using HSBC they are the worlds biggest bank and all others accept thier cards (except small local banks)Plus with a minimum balance theres no fees at all free banking

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
The best bank is HSBC period . Locations world wide , the best exchange rate , You can walk into a branch anywhere in the world and open a local account in local funds , when using the card no extra international fees at the ATM all ATMs are considered local . There many advantages to using HSBC they are the worlds biggest bank and all others accept thier cards (except small local banks) Plus with a minimum balance theres no fees at all free banking
Its good to see someone so passionate about the bank they deal with. It made me use Google to find out more. I was surprised to see HSBC increasing their presence in Canada. They do seem to be popular in many parts of the world. I know many people who use HSBC and the common comments I have heard have to do with the large minimum balance to get all the free stuff and the high charges when you go below that balance. I could not find any reference to them being the biggest in the world but I did find 2 sites to say they were #3 and one site to say they were #2 so still impressive.But for my money, I like the personalized service of certain smaller, local banks. That's not a complaint about HSBC, just that I cannot agree that: "The best bank is HSBC period".
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
My bank, BDO SM Bacolod allowed me an account but only as the 2nd signer to my wife. Every bank branch is a separate franchise and has their own rules. If one refuses you, walk down the street to a different branch. You might be treated better.
Now that I did not know!!! Thanks!!! :89:

i am bob
Posted
Posted
The best bank is HSBC period . Locations world wide , the best exchange rate , You can walk into a branch anywhere in the world and open a local account in local funds , when using the card no extra international fees at the ATM all ATMs are considered local . There many advantages to using HSBC they are the worlds biggest bank and all others accept thier cards (except small local banks) Plus with a minimum balance theres no fees at all free banking
Its good to see someone so passionate about the bank they deal with. It made me use Google to find out more. I was surprised to see HSBC increasing their presence in Canada. They do seem to be popular in many parts of the world. I know many people who use HSBC and the common comments I have heard have to do with the large minimum balance to get all the free stuff and the high charges when you go below that balance. I could not find any reference to them being the biggest in the world but I did find 2 sites to say they were #3 and one site to say they were #2 so still impressive.But for my money, I like the personalized service of certain smaller, local banks. That's not a complaint about HSBC, just that I cannot agree that: "The best bank is HSBC period".
HSBC burned me here in Canada... So what will they do to me in the Philippines? Not gonna find out!