About Blood

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Slim's problems finding blood for his operation have me questioning how this whole thing works. I have questions that others may know the answers to but first, I looked at the Philippine Red Cross web site to see what things would permanently disqualify someone from donating here:9. What are some of the reasons for permanent deferral?- Hepatitis B or C infection.- HIV infection.- Having sexual contact with a person infected with HIV- Having multiple sex partners/ patronizing sex workers- Serious chronic illness (heart and lung diseases)Note the item in red. There are other qualifications having to do with medications and general health but when you add that criteria I am not surprised that they can find no donors here.So, questions that I have:Is the situation as serious in Manila as it is in Cebu? To our Manila residents or visitors, is it a serious problem in the hospitals there?Has anyone ever tried contacting the Red Cross from their home country to see if they would airlift blood in an emergency to help their own citizens?Has anyone tried contacting their own embassy to see if their is an emergency procedure when one of their visiting citizens need blood? What do they do for their own diplomats?Has anyone found any kind of solution to the problem and, is it a serious problem for those who do not have rare blood types?Are there any hospitals that follow the procedures that the Jehovah's Witnesses set out for bloodless surgery?

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

RH FACTOR NEGATIVE is the reason that it is hard to find the blood or blood products that we may need.yes there is BLOOD available but not for us . AS IT IS RH FACTOR POSITIVEquote from dave hounddriverHas anyone tried contacting their own embassy to see if their is an emergency procedure when one of their visiting citizens need blood? What do they do for their own diplomats?I have asked this question to 2 (us)embassy personal ,they replied " that the hospital they would use in normal situation has some, I did not ask what they "meant" by normal I then asked what if that it was low or limited, If they needed more than what was available ,ON SITE(embassy personal) volunteers would be asked, then the LOCAL agencies would try to get Volunteers from them, mean while "THEY WOULD BE sending a "request" for more.AGAIN they said this with a "smile" that I took it to be ,sending it thru the medical emergency procedures that they have in placeWhen I do have the opportunity to meet or talk with Other( WESTERN ) counties embassy personalI will ask them what they would do,what are their proceduresAs I have posted before the places that are available areTHE American Womens Club of the Philippines American Association Philippines http://www.americanassociationphilippines.org/http://www.awcphilippines.org/blooddonorscomm.phpWelcome to the Philippines! Living in a different country can be a rewarding and challenging experience. One challenge (that we hope you never face) is that you or a loved one may find yourselves in an emergency health situation, possibly requiring a blood transfusion. Hospital Blood Banks are safe but are not "stocked" with available blood and blood products in the same manner as in the USA. Members with type RH (-) blood are the most at risk. Please know that if you face this issue, The American Women's Club of the Philippines Blood Donor Program is here to assist you.About AWCP Blood Donor ProgramOur Blood Donor Program was established in 1979 to assist AWCP members and their families during emergency situations. We do not maintain a blood bank; however, we maintain a confidential membership listing that can include you and/or your spouse to contact for donation should the need arise. Inclusion on the AWCP donor list is requested when you first join the AWCP - but you can always stop by our table at the monthly AWCP general meetings to sign up later or to get the latest educational information. However, your decision to donate blood when requested is a voluntary and private choice. It will also depend on factors such as your current health, medication status, and your personal beliefs and values. Even if you have never donated blood before, it is well worth considering it here in the Philippines because of the current countrywide situation. You will be providing a safe lifeline to those in need among members of your AWCP network and the community at large.Please Sign Up to be a DonorOur donor list is in constant need of new volunteers because our membership is highly mobile. To be sure we have adequate resources, donors of all blood types are needed in our database - especially those with the Rh- factor. Negative factor blood types are very rare in the Philippines (< 1% of the population are Rh negative), and in the Asian population in general. So, if you or family members are Rh negative, please 1) be informed about blood resources available, and 2) register with the AWCP Blood Donor Program.What's your blood type?Do you know the answer to that question? How about knowing your family's (spouse or children) blood types? If you don't know your blood type, we'll be happy to perform a simple blood typing procedure on the spot at our monthly AWCP general meeting or we can recommend a health clinic.In an EmergencyKeep in mind that the Blood Donor Program is also available for you, should the need arise for you or a family member to require blood transfusion. If you need emergency help, please phone the blood donor chair or co-chair. She will address your questions and, if necessary, do her best to use the listing and find a willing donor from our membership list.http://www.awcphilippines.org/pdf/AWCPbrouchure_2011_2.doc2.pdf American Association Philippines

RH NEGATIVE BLOOD DONOR PROGRAM

The AAP RH negative Blood Program is a
volunteer
"walk-in" donor list to meet the need for this rare blood type. We donate to all nationalities, not just Americans.
We are still endeavoring to help the community in this need - but ask that
those who have this rare blood type, please do themselves - and the community - a service and register with our AAP office...the life you save may be your own!
(Of course, we would like any and all to support our work by becoming a member of AAP - and you do not have to be American to join!)
Much emphasis is to be placed on the fact that the RH Negative donor "pool" is drying up due to the shrinking of the expatriate community - as well as the aging of the community. (Those over 60 are not accepted as donors.) Also, despite the numbers on our list, there are often very few who are accepted as donors due to a variety of reasons - low hemoglobin, on medication, pregnant - or too much partying at time of need!
If AAP is unable to source from our own volunteers, we coordinate with other sources such as Philippine Red Cross, Lung Center’s Clearing House, and blood banks in hospitals in Metro Manila. We also endeavor to network with other community organizations. But the "pool" is indeed very small - and few Filipinos have negative blood, hence the need to join our volunteer listing!
In cases of "elective" or "planned" surgery or childbirth, we recommend anyone with Negative blood please discuss with their doctor the option of giving their own blood in advance of this need - or finding a family member who can provide for that need.
AAP primarily responds in emergency cases by contacting those volunteer donors on its list - and asking them to report to a given "collection" point for bleeding. We request that donors DO NOT give their names; only give the name of the patient for whom they are donating - in an effort to protect donor's anonymity; to guard them against direct calls from those seeking blood in any future case. There is no charge for the blood from AAP volunteer donors, but any testing and transport of the blood must be borne by the patient.
http://www.americanassociationphilippines.org/blood_program.htm this information will be listed on the other posts, for cross referencingAGAIN I WISH TO POINT OUT that most westerners NOT ALL are RH FACTOR NEGATIVE Edited by ed villas
  • Like 1