Australian Work Visas

tomtaylor
Posted
Posted

Why is it other asians like vietnamese and thais can get a working visa for australia but filipinos can't unless a spouse?Seems discriminatory to me....whats the reason?

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Far as i know, Filipinos go through the same process as anyone else wanting a work visa for Australia.In my neck of the woods there are quite a few Vietnamese working on farms. If i was to make an educated guess, i'd say there are various local snow pea and tomato growers who have sponsored them to come here.Reason being they are exceptionally good at picking and pruning of those crops. So i guess it would be the same in other industries, where there is a specific need for labour which isn't readily available here, then those jobs would be filled by qualified overseas workers.Before someone pipes up and says "what about the Aussie workers, why don't you give them a go?" Well, speaking for the agricultural industry, if there were enough willing and relieable Aussies to do the job then for sure they would be employed but the fact is that the young ones of today are either (A) To lazy and contented to bum around on centerlink payments and/or (B) They think that they are somewhat "above" this kind of work.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Far as i know, Filipinos go through the same process as anyone else wanting a work visa for Australia.In my neck of the woods there are quite a few Vietnamese working on farms. If i was to make an educated guess, i'd say there are various local snow pea and tomato growers who have sponsored them to come here.Reason being they are exceptionally good at picking and pruning of those crops. So i guess it would be the same in other industries, where there is a specific need for labour which isn't readily available here, then those jobs would be filled by qualified overseas workers.Before someone pipes up and says "what about the Aussie workers, why don't you give them a go?" Well, speaking for the agricultural industry, if there were enough willing and relieable Aussies to do the job then for sure they would be employed but the fact is that the young ones of today are either (A) To lazy and contented to bum around on centerlink payments and/or (B) They think that they are somewhat "above" this kind of work.
I see the same thing here in Canada... everybody but a Canadian (or American) working the farms. At least that is the way in the Niagara fruit belt. Now I wonder... given the choice of a call center for minimum wage or a fruit farm for minimum wage, which fruit farm do you think I would pick?
  • Like 1