No Reservations Philippines

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

I don't know if any of you ever watch Travel Channel's Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, and honestly I haven't seen many, but I stumbled across this one Youtube....The weather is horrible today :lol:If you don't know the concept of the show, Anthony travels to different countries and shows you were to stay, eat and drink. This particular episode however, the location was selected by fans of the show. People submitted video "interviews" telling Anthony why they should select their location. The winner obviously was a Filipino...a Filipino American (Augusto) who was born and living in NY. Its shot in Manila and Cebu. So its a pretty good show, not only do you get to see some really good food, but you get to see the side story of Augusto trying to discover his Filipino roots. I'm really craving some lechon now :th_thholysheep:

• Like 4

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I have watched the episode a couple of times. For some reason, I'm really burned out on Anthony B. He seems to have about the same thing to say about everywhere he visits. I am not knocking him, just my impression of him. He's always making some sort of wise crack or sarcastically "sage" comment. But I rarely feel like I've learned much about the food after watching him. My wife likes watching him because he travels around quite a bit. She like Andrew Zimmern even more.

bows00
Posted
Posted

I am a huge fan of Anthony Bourdain. I mean, really, what a life... travel, eat and drink, i guess I envy him because i think he has one of the best jobs on the planet. I saw the Philippines episode about four times. As for Andy Zimmerman, well not my favorite shows - for a guy that makes a living eating wierd foods, I lost all respect for AZ when he visited Hawaii and could'nt eat SPAM! And honestly, I wouldn't want to make a living eating worms and guts...And the other guy, Adam Richman on "Man Vs Food", i can't see him having a long career doing what he does - he'll be lucky to live to 40 pigging out like that...

• Like 2

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

bows00, I didn't care much for Zimmern but I respect what he has done with his life. He's seen some big ups and downs. I respect that he's picked himself up after destroying his life and gone on to succeed. I missed the episode where he wouldn't eat SPAM. Man, that hurts! Maybe not my favorite food but sure one of my father-in-law's! The only thing I've ever seen him turn down was something prepared from a cow's stomach that included undigested food the cow ate. I had to agree with him on that one. Boudain's career is enviable and generally, I like the guy, but I guess I don't feel like I learn much from him. I suppose it is a personal thing, I like shows that not only show me interesting or new cuisine, but how to do it. If not how I do it, at least how they do it. More on the technical side, I suppose. I hear you about Adam Richman. That guy was me not so many years ago. Oink oink!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Since I gave up cable, I don't really know any of these guys.... but watching the program and seeing some of the foods that I thought I would never be able to look at, well, I realized that I was really really hungry after! C'mon September!

Jake
Posted
Posted

I really enjoy watching Anthony Bourdain's No Reservation TV series. Often times his comments getsbleep out. He made several references in smoking pot, tripping out on munchies. I could remember him making a trip in Saudi Arabia and his Muslim host made a reference on "cameltoe" soup. It was hilarious!

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

How do I get that job? Fly around the world getting paid to eat. I'm qualified for that!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I must confess that I have never watched any of those shows. But they gave me ideas for some that might get off the ground. How about Man vs Filipina, (I can leave that one to your imagination), or a trucking show that describes how Philippine 18 wheelers get down these narrow, windy crowded streets without running over too many tricycles, motorbikes or squatters. (It puts those ice road braggarts to shame.) Or dirty jobs in the Philippines, like the guys who crawl into a sh&t hole and shovel out the muck because the owner is too cheap to put in a proper septic tank.

• Like 1