Weber Grill - Manila Forwarders

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

My Weber-Stephens BBQ Grill just showed up. I was more than a little concerned with it being damaged in transit since a good fit of the lid to the kettle is important for me. Happily it showed up in excellent condition. I went with the Weber One Touch Gold BBQ 22.5" version. I wanted a charcoal unit and it is nicer than any I used to own back in the States. I really recommend stepping up to the Gold model versus the Silver model, since the price is not much higher. Shipped it through Manila Forwarders and it took just over a month to arrive. They have a service that lets you check your package online. Mine still showed as in the Manila warehouse when they knocked on my door. Happily we were still home. Half an hour later and we'd have been off to a fellow expat's birthday party with no one to receive it. Nice unit, not hugely expensive ($130 - $150) and shipping was $75 bucks though the Manila Forwarder estimator had said $85. So a bit over 8000 pesos and the units sitting on my balcony now. BBQ is gonna be at my place soon. Time to go shop for the ribs!

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Living the life my friend! :508:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

So I suppose that poor little piggy in your avatar will end up on the barbie ....... :) ....... glad to hear your grill got there OK ...... used to love my cooker smoker in the US .... just can't bring myself to pay what they want here for something I can bend with my hands ..... also haven't seen the ceramic grates here and if I did I would probably go into shock with the price ..... :mocking:

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Mike S, yeah ... the Weber is so much more substantial than what they offer here. And everything is just the way it is supposed to be. It is a much better unit than the old 18 inch unit that I used years ago as a young man. And of course, I have a lot more experience and understanding of both the food and temperature control than I did back then. I was part of that, hotter is better school of scorching meat if not outright charring it. I know at least a little better now. Though growing up in the Midwest fifty years ago has left me with a taste for overdone meat I have never quite got over. I want to get a cabinet smoker made here so I don't have to ship it over, but I haven't found the right maker yet. They need to be air tight so you can regulate the air and smoke well. A leaky smoker is a real pain in the derriere. Nice if you can do that yourself. I'm a tad envious. :)

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Years ago the sold a neat little unit that was made to attach to the bottom of your grill and it was a round cylinder that had a rod like a soldering iron that ran up through the center of the cylinder ..... you could take sawdust or very fine shavings and plug it into 110 ..... the core would get very hot and start the sawdust smoking ..... you could use your own flavor of sawdust ..... as it attached to the bottom the smoke would be drawn up through the grill and smoke the meat ...... great little devise ..... not sure if they still make it but you could even build one yourself .....By the way did you ever get a hold of Jim Boyd on your wife's ITIN ..... just curious

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

We just got my wife's passport last Friday. We will contact Boyd's office again and send it down for processing this upcoming week. Today being a holiday here. Wife and sister-in-law just headed out to a friend's party all dressed up in Chinese gowns, very cute. Tomorrow or Wednesday I hope we can get the ITIN started. Unfortunately it won't be done in time for me to use the freefile system the IRS offers online. That requires we both have SSN/ITIN numbers assigned.