Toxic Mold

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have mentioned the constant rain where I live. It makes for constant high humidity, as one would expect in a tropical rainforest type of climate.It also creates a lot of black mold in the kitchen and bathroom areas. Now I want to know if it is the 'toxic mold' variety and if that is a lot of hype or a serious problem, and how to deal with it.I have not noticed spectacular health problems but I don't want to find out there are long term effects and I should have dealt with it earlier.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Possibly causes blindness, have you noticed any eyesight problems lately ?

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

Welllll, I have an employee who is a certified mold inspector or something like that. In the US he takes a sample and sends it to a lab that returns a detailed report as to what you have growing between your teeth..... er, ah... in your house I mean. Here in the Phils? Have no idea but to do an internet search for a mold testing lab.The more important issue is whether or not you or a family member is allergic to that variety of mold. Not all molds cause problems and not all people exposed have a problem.Bleach from the market does NOT kill all the mold. However 'outdoor' bleach is a better killer. Mold turns to spores that survive regular bleech. But the outdoor bleach has an added ingredient that tricks the spores into opening then the bleach will kill it.

Edited by Bruce

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Possibly causes blindness, have you noticed any eyesight problems lately ?
You are a cruel man! (you forgot to ask about hairy palms....) but on the positive side.... at least he isn't a bus driver who may need good eyesight at night..... hehehehehehehe (sorry, too good to pass on that one......)
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Aww shucks. Its not my fault that the presence of mold gives me a little night blindness and an extreme hard on, complete with an itch that needs scratching. Now back in the west that may cause hairy palms but here it just results in a happy wife.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

On a more serious note, get your eyes checked for macular degeneration.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

One preventive remedy is to purchase a dehumidifier. Depending on equipment size, there is a small container for one to eight quarts of water. You may have to empty it every few days. It might be possible to attach a plastic hose and the water empties to a garden.A dehumidfier is similar to an air-conditioner. It removes moisture and cools a room. Those of you who run the air-conditioner 24-7 accomplish the same, but a much higher electrical cost.For closets, try locating a supplier of silica gel (those small packets that come with certain food like seaweed). The commercial size are bags. The silica gel absorbs moisture. To re-use, leave them out in the sun or find another drying method like a warm oven after you finish baking.Another simple remedy is to open the windows after a heavy rain. The circulating air helps to dry the room. If you purchase a foreclosed property in the United States, especially in the South, you should look for mold. Foreclosed homes have trapped, humid air for weeks or months. It's a perfect environment for growing toxic mold.

Edited by JJR
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
One preventive remedy is to purchase a dehumidifier.
The thought had occurred to me and it seems like a good one. The problem is Catch 22. The windows in my home, and most homes I am familiar with, are jalousie type. It means they do not seal when closed, they are more to provide privacy and stop strong winds and rain from getting in. It means air cons and dehumidifiers are fighting to dehumidify air which is constantly replenished through the leaky windows. So you seal up the windows, then you have the problem with toxic mold, which wiki says comes about because of modern construction methods that seal our houses from air circulation to and from the outside. Which means you need to provide outside air to your house, which is what the jalousie windows do. That's Catch 22.Now that I have given my reason for procrastinating on buying a dehumidifier, anyone know where to buy one in Philippines, whats a good brand to buy and how much they cost? Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1