Alternate Building Materials And Methods

Jeff Zack
Posted
Posted

Lets see if there is any interest in this topic. I would like to start it with "Earth Bag Construction" and here is an excellent link to information about it. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-an-Earthbag-Roundhouse .There has been some use of this in the Philippines. Lahar or rice by-products can be useful when combined with soil used in the bags to make a concrete like substance. Jeff

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Sure looks like it is worth considering and it has given me a couple ideas.1) Although I would not build that style of house for my living quarters without seeing one built first, it would be a great idea for a building to house a security guard, house boy, or maid to give them a little security but keep them on site.2) Perhaps a garage could be cheaply built this way3) I am thinking it may work for me to build an earth dam on a stream that runs through my property. I cannot cut off the flow or completely dam it or the DENR would be all over me, but perhaps I could restrict the flow enough so it would run past a waterwheel with sufficient strength to power a generator.See what food for thought you have given me. Rice bags are plentiful and durable. All I have to do is fill them with dirt . . . after I get some ambition to start such a project. :23_11_60[2]:

• Like 4

• 7 months later...
johnb
Posted
Posted

Sure looks like it is worth considering and it has given me a couple ideas.1) Although I would not build that style of house for my living quarters without seeing one built first, it would be a great idea for a building to house a security guard, house boy, or maid to give them a little security but keep them on site.2) Perhaps a garage could be cheaply built this way3) I am thinking it may work for me to build an earth dam on a stream that runs through my property. I cannot cut off the flow or completely dam it or the DENR would be all over me, but perhaps I could restrict the flow enough so it would run past a waterwheel with sufficient strength to power a generator.See what food for thought you have given me. Rice bags are plentiful and durable. All I have to do is fill them with dirt . . . after I get some ambition to start such a project. :Count_Sheep:

regarding partial damning of a river, i have done this in the past to help keep the hard suction from a water pump fully submerged, the easiest method at that time was to use a large chicken wire cage there approximately 1msq, and simply use local labor to back fill them with stones/rocks some pipes can be inserted through the cage at a lower level that can be opened or closed as required

Wire_Cages_Rock_Wall.jpg

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Actually I have studied this method of building quite extensively as I was or still maybe very interested in this project ...... but like Dave I'm not interested in the round house plans ..... while this is considered to be the most earth quake proof type of building you can construct one made in the shape of a octagon or hexagon can be equally as strong and gives you some strait walls to work with inside ..... you can also build a rectangle house using these bags but must do it with wing walls extending past each corner and is kinda unsightly ...... my idea was to use earth and a shovel or two of cement to give bags some strength ..... by the way rice bags look like they would work just fine and the corners are already folded ..... should be able to find a manufacture of these bags and get some seconds (lettering messed up or logo not centered) fairly cheap ...... would not take a construction crew to build this way but just a few guys and you to supervise ......

I also wonder how it would fair using this system to build a security wall around your property ...... using concrete pillars every so many feet with rebar going through the last bag every so many rows and then into the cement pillars so they are all tied together ........

This is an interesting concept and the web is full of different thoughts and instructions ...... oh and by the way these are build all over the world .....

Hope you have as much fun as I did reaching this subject ...... by the way .... concrete dome houses is another consideration but a different topic ..... :hystery: :hystery: ....... :cheersty:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Are there any permit issues in using this type of building materials?

Are you required to use licensed contractors like electricians and plumbers?

Haven't been back in a while except for short visits lasting a few days. With my turning 65 next year, I am thinking about constructing something in the Philippines. It is still uncertain whether I should build or simply buy something that already exists. Condominium prices in Metro Manila and Metro Cebu are already in a bubble. If the final decision is to purchase an existing condo, I may wait for prices to start dropping.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I know that these are solid as I have looked into building one before. But I never looked into if they are earthquake resistant... That's a totally different direction and type of force being exerted on the structure.

• Like 1